🔕 🔔

Are black cardamom pods smoked, and primarily used in savory dishes? The green ones used in sweet?

I have both and would like to add it with roasted figs, but which one?

asked by tiffanylee about 4 years ago

I would use the green. The green pods are what the world really knows as cardamon and typically the only ones used in baking. Both are used in savory dishes but black is much less common and used more for stronger applications...spice rubs. spice mixes, meat stews etc. You should only buy it by the pod as the essential oil disappears quickly once the pod is opened and even more quickly when ground.

F262fda4 9e06 470b b32d ccbedd06f933  fb avatar

Do the pods need to be grated or broken to get the flavor to permeate in sugar syrup?

If the pod is fresh(green and not too shriveled and can smell the cardamon without opening the pod) just opening the pod and allowing it to sit among the roasting figs should be fine. You can always grind a seed or two if you want according to how much flavor you want.

Thank you.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

I have used black cardamon (just a tiny bit) to enhance chocolate sauce for a spicy flavor. It can be used for dessert applications, although very sparingly.

671b6c39 4898 435f 92c5 89cd9b925088  img 3788

I use black cardamon pods for broth. I just throw a whole pod in the pot. I bought them in Vietnam and the flavor is very intense and, yes, kind of smoky. I believe that they are just another variety of cardamon, however. I have only ever seen green cardamon at American stores.