🔕 🔔

I'd like to buy a friend a book on canning for her bridal shower--any suggestions/recommendations for a specific cookbook? Thanks!

asked by juliana about 4 years ago

74dae707 364a 4674 9f8b c83c8a1e87c9  stringio

This book is great! The author couldn't find a book with the necessary information on canning so he wrote one himself.
http://www.amazon.com/gp...

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

If you have the time, why not make a book.
Take a couple dozen favorite recipes that you know she will like and scan or photo. Do the same with a picture of each final product.
Use an on-line company to create the book with your own personal notes included. They have simple templates that you simply upload to.
The cost is minimal - probably under $25 and will be in your mailbox within a week.
It will be a treasure.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

The Food In Jars cookbook is great. It's modern but practical enough to be very useful, and everything I've tried from it has worked very well. There's also the recently published Saving the Season, which I have not yet had the privilege of cooking from, but which looks incredible. The DIY cookbook idea is great, too.

I am an avid home canner. Home canning and preserving can be fun, but it can be dangerous, too. I highly recommend a book that has tested recipes and techniques. If your friend is a beginner canner, I recommend the Ball Blue Book or the Ball Complete Book. Both cover canning techniques and recipes. The Ball Complete Book is hardcover and has more recipes. If your friend is an experienced canner, she might enjoy Put 'Em Up (recipes categorized by ingredient), Joy of Pickling (every type of pickle recipe and technique you can think of), The Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving (Jams, Preserves, Pickles, Sauces), or Tart and Sweet (unusual, foodie, canning recipes). I would stay clear of a DIY cookbook unless you know that the recipes are tested and safe. There have been many cases of botulism deaths from home canning gone wrong. All titles mentioned are available on Amazon, Happy Shopping!

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I got The Preservation Kitchen for my birthday and I am loving it - the recipes are all tested for safety, and he includes recipes in the second half for dishes that include the canned goods. I recently made the corn chowchow and I intend to make another batch while it's in season - so good!!!

JAC

My choices are:
The Art of Perserving by Rick Field & Rebecca Courchesne (williams-sonoma)
Ball Complete Book of Home Perserving (a classic!)
& The Amish Canning Cookbook by Georgia Varozza