🔕 🔔

panna cotta question

I've been researching panna cotta recipes, and most of them call for dissolving gelatin powder in a bit of chilled water. Here's my question: can I dissolve the gelatin in cold milk (or coconut milk) instead? It seems like it would make for a more concentrated end product. Thoughts?

asked by Cristina Sciarra over 4 years ago

The amount of water used to bloom gelatin isn't really large enough to affect the concentration of the panna cotta. It's often 1/4 water to 1 envelope (~2 1/4 tsp) powdered gelatin. Yes, you can use cold milk or coconut milk. It just needs to be a cold liquid. But I don't think you'll find that much of a difference in flavor whether you use water or milk. I love and have always used David Lebovitz's gelatin guide, http://www.davidlebovitz...

If you use leaf gelatin, you squeeze out the water when the gelatin is softened and then add the gelatin to the liquid in the recipe so you aren't adding any additional water. I prefer the leaf gelatin and it always seems to work better for me.

16f72ccb 3197 434b a946 8e9e68a3715f  cristina 014 web final

Thank you both for your advice. In the end, I used powdered gelatin, and HalfPint, you were totally right. I made a coconut panna cotta with mango puree, and a goat's milk panna cotta with vanilla-plum compote. I'll post the recipes next week!

Looking forward to the recipes :)

Here are my recipes! Goat Milk Yogurt Panna Cotta with Vanilla-Plum Compote + Coconut Panna Cotta with Mango Puree. I am happy with how they turned out :) http://theroamingkitchen...

08bbf62c 9cbf 467b a0be 4de85b509b91  dsc 0170