Favorite bourbon cocktails

My husband and I are in charge of making the cocktails (even though I can't drink them right now, sigh) for a supper with a barbecue, beer, and bourbon theme, and I'm trying to come up with some new ideas. I regularly make old fashioneds and boulevardiers, but I was wondering about other people's favorite bourbon cocktails, either classic or interesting ones you've discovered.

WileyP
WileyP August 19, 2013

I personally like mine with a couple ice cubes and a splash of good water or seltzer. Sis has to have her Manhattans:
Dash of Angostura bitters
2 ounces rye whiskey (though bourbon, American bland or Canadian blend may be used)
1 ounce sweet vermouth
Ice cubes
a half-slice of orange and a Maraschino cherry for garnish
The Manhattan may be served "on the rocks" or stirred with ice and served "straight up" in a pre-chilled cocktail glass.

Voted the Best Reply!

WileyP
WileyP August 19, 2013

PS: In the 1940's and 1950's, Cocktail parties often involved simply a pitcher of martinis and a pitcher of Manhattans.

WileyP
WileyP August 19, 2013

...And there is always the Whiskey Sour":
2 ounces Bourbon
1 ounce lemon juice (you can use 1 Tablespoon of frozen lemonade concentrate as well)
2 teaspoons powdered sugar or 1/2 ounce simple syrup if you've used straight lemon juice
ice cubes
Lemon slice or wedge (for garnish)
Maraschino cherry (for garnish)
Again, serve on the rocks or stir it and serve it in a chilled sour glass

Stephanie G
Stephanie G August 19, 2013

2 oz Four Roses Small Batch bourbon
1 oz honey simple syrup
3/4 oz lemon juice

This is our house's signature cocktail. Never made one that anybody didn't like!

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen August 20, 2013

this sounds great Stephanie G!

hardlikearmour August 19, 2013

The Brix Layer is a really cool and delicious cocktail: http://portland.thedrinknation.com/articles/read/11231-Create-Aviarys-Best-Selling-Cocktail-the-Brix-Layer#
I'm also partial to my Tea Thyme and Bourbon Soda: http://wholefoodsmarketcooking.com/recipes/11108_tea_thyme_bourbon_soda

ZombieCupcake
ZombieCupcake August 20, 2013

Mint julep has to be my all favorite and one of the only cocktails I drink. But could never make as well as this one pub great place with a jukebox full of 80s punk.

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen August 20, 2013

Depending on when your party is, a great fall one is the Brick Wall from the Magnolia Grill. I first read about it in the inflight mag on Southwest Air. I couldn't pull up tht link but here is one that sounds similar giving attribution to same restaurant:
http://aging-disgracefully.com/blog/archives/2011/09/the_brick_wall.html

mensaque
mensaque August 20, 2013

"Whisky com guaraná".The brazilian equivalent to the Cuba Libre(rum and coke).Not sure if you're gona fing guaraná in the US,though.Maybe if you find a brazilian grocery store,get the soda kind.The natural one has no bubbles,it's not sweet enough,and it's not so tasty.Lots of ice,3 parts guaraná,one part bourbon.Enjoy!

mensaque
mensaque August 20, 2013

Just realized you can get it on amazon.com:"Guaraná Antárctica",my favorite brand.Or in any brazilian restaurant.

David
David August 21, 2013

There's a bar near me that specializes in single barrel bourbons and two of the garnishes I remember enjoying were brown sugar glazed bacon and roasted figs.

fiveandspice
fiveandspice August 24, 2013

Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone!