🔕 🔔

Favorite bourbon cocktails

My husband and I are in charge of making the cocktails (even though I can't drink them right now, sigh) for a supper with a barbecue, beer, and bourbon theme, and I'm trying to come up with some new ideas. I regularly make old fashioneds and boulevardiers, but I was wondering about other people's favorite bourbon cocktails, either classic or interesting ones you've discovered.

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

3d9a3882 c161 441f 8a91 0efd10979f7c  2007 09 11e s4

I personally like mine with a couple ice cubes and a splash of good water or seltzer. Sis has to have her Manhattans:
Dash of Angostura bitters
2 ounces rye whiskey (though bourbon, American bland or Canadian blend may be used)
1 ounce sweet vermouth
Ice cubes
a half-slice of orange and a Maraschino cherry for garnish
The Manhattan may be served "on the rocks" or stirred with ice and served "straight up" in a pre-chilled cocktail glass.

...And there is always the Whiskey Sour":
2 ounces Bourbon
1 ounce lemon juice (you can use 1 Tablespoon of frozen lemonade concentrate as well)
2 teaspoons powdered sugar or 1/2 ounce simple syrup if you've used straight lemon juice
ice cubes
Lemon slice or wedge (for garnish)
Maraschino cherry (for garnish)
Again, serve on the rocks or stir it and serve it in a chilled sour glass

2 oz Four Roses Small Batch bourbon
1 oz honey simple syrup
3/4 oz lemon juice

This is our house's signature cocktail. Never made one that anybody didn't like!

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

this sounds great Stephanie G!

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

The Brix Layer is a really cool and delicious cocktail: http://portland.thedrinknation...#
I'm also partial to my Tea Thyme and Bourbon Soda: http://wholefoodsmarketcooking...

926ee962 060e 44e6 a1d9 878262f34bf8  image

Mint julep has to be my all favorite and one of the only cocktails I drink. But could never make as well as this one pub great place with a jukebox full of 80s punk.

Depending on when your party is, a great fall one is the Brick Wall from the Magnolia Grill. I first read about it in the inflight mag on Southwest Air. I couldn't pull up tht link but here is one that sounds similar giving attribution to same restaurant:
http://aging-disgracefully...

6f611b78 35b4 4186 89ad c38b035b32f3  08270410avatar messbrasil

"Whisky com guaraná".The brazilian equivalent to the Cuba Libre(rum and coke).Not sure if you're gona fing guaraná in the US,though.Maybe if you find a brazilian grocery store,get the soda kind.The natural one has no bubbles,it's not sweet enough,and it's not so tasty.Lots of ice,3 parts guaraná,one part bourbon.Enjoy!

Just realized you can get it on amazon.com:"Guaraná Antárctica",my favorite brand.Or in any brazilian restaurant.

There's a bar near me that specializes in single barrel bourbons and two of the garnishes I remember enjoying were brown sugar glazed bacon and roasted figs.

C4b35b3e a030 4605 bcae f5a7ba4644f4  sausage2
fiveandspice

Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone!