🔕 🔔

Make pop tarts at home?

asked by magdance about 4 years ago

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

Smitten Kitchen has a recipe I've never made but would trust
http://smittenkitchen.com...

William-Sonoma sells a cookie cutter in the exact shape of a pop tart..I make a all butter pie crust,roll it out very thin and put a scant tablespoon of a thick good quality jam in the center.If you fill them with real fresh fruit or jam that is not thick enough it tends to bubble out when baking.Seal the edges well ,brush tops with egg wash and then sprinkle with sanding sugar.

F1b96b4f 7e61 4439 bb79 caa736aa584d  img 1860 001

The Smitten Kitchen pop tart recipe is the way to go if you are doing it at home. It is thousands of times better than what you can get at the grocery store, and it's easy as pie. After all, pop tarts are hand pies.

F262fda4 9e06 470b b32d ccbedd06f933  fb avatar

I made my kids pop tarts from all butter pie dough rolled thin and foiled with Nutella , my kids loved them. They preferred the Nutella ones over those filled with homemade peach jam. I also made some with hot fudge ice cream topping my kids really liked those too. Fiddilly and time consuming but worth the effort.