🔕 🔔

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Aren't all pie pans round?

I think Pyrex is the way to go, at least while you're learning the art. Clear glass allows you to see what's happening while the pie is baking. It doesn't hurt that it's ubiquitous, inexpensive, durable and transmits heat appropriately for the purpose.

fhp

Thanks. That's what I was about to buy and then I read all these comments at Amazon about how the "new" pyrex is less durable than the "old" pyrex. Who knew?
Glass pie pans shattering in the oven? Yikes! BTW... the more ubiquitous the better.

An Emile Henry pie plate may be a bit of an investment, but it will never let you down. Made of Burgundian clay, the overall browning and crispness it yields are unparalleled. And then there's that 10-year warranty. You can read about them here:
http://www.emilehenryusa...
And here's one that's on sale:
http://www.emilehenryusa...

I love my Emile Henry pie plate for its presentation value but sadly its deep dish design isn't what I need most of the time. :-(

The best pan is the simplest---I believe it's the Chicago metallic one. It is lightweight and cooks the most evenly in my experience. It has tiny holes in the bottom. And it's cheaper/easier to store. I use the Emile Henry pan if presentation needs to be an issue.

Ed393afc ec39 4889 9b89 21d629538eff  misc.oranges and primavera tree 008

I love my old, glass Pyrex pie dish. It came from a thrift store, priced about $2. Evenly browns the crust, 9.5' dia., has two "ears" for easy lifting, it's deep to prevent bubbling over, and with fluting to give the crust edge a little shape. Vintage ones can be had on eBay.

If you looked in my pantry you'd easily see I prefer Pyrex. I have four vintage Pyrex pans. I've been wishing someone would give me an Emile Henry one, but I'm refusing to pay for it! ;)