A question about a recipe: Rosie's Buttermilk Biscuits

37f17c7f 7ea6 4a59 bb7b b6b66a1984a8  southern buttermilk biscuits 2

I have a question about the recipe "Rosie's Buttermilk Biscuits" from Heather Baird. what is a good substitute for cold bacon fat?

asked by wietje about 5 years ago

ChefOno

Lard

ChefOno

I just read the recipe and I see your question is addressed in the cook's notes so maybe you're looking for a different answer? You can substitute butter but the taste and texture won't be the same.

Many people are needlessly and irrationally scared of lard. Even if you buy into the old and disproven theory saturated fat is necessarily unhealthful, lard contains less saturated fat than butter. Blame Crisco for their marketing (ironically Crisco still contains trans-fats, the only fat known to actually be unhealthful according to current science).

wietje

Thank you, Chef Ono.