🔕 🔔

How should I doctor up store bought chicken stock to make it taste like the delicious home made chicken soup my family expects?

asked by Food odyssea over 4 years ago

lloreen

I add a nob of ginger, a few cloves of garlic, a pod of cardamon or maybe a star anise, and a sprig of thyme. Simmer for a half hour if you can ( but note you'll need more stock than normal because of evaporation.

Ginger as suggested, star anise and thyme are all good ideas. Allspice too. If you have any leftover bones hanging around (not the ones the dog has chewed on) those will improve it also. Other whole herbs you like are good. Be sure to strain after the additions.

Assonta Wagner

Before I add the veggies to simmer, I usually sear the chicken in the same pot. Then I use the stock to deglaze the pan and then add the veggies and some of the seared chicken

cookbookchick

Sounds like Stone Soup! ;-)

Heidi,Harris

I don't buy cans of stock anymore. I use soup bases by Minor's. They are in a tub and like a paste. I have tried their chicken, mirepoix, and beef, all low sodium and gluten free and they are delicious!

I've used them to flavour rice and to boil chicken in to cook instead of water. Amazing flavour!

Bec42

Simmer with fresh parsley, garlic, & chopped veggies (onions/shallots, carrots, and really anything else you have) for a traditional chicken soup. Also, I love caraway seeds in chicken soup. I put them in one of those mesh tea strainer balls so it's easy to remove them before serving.