Milk substitute in crockpot oatmeal apple breakfast cobbler thing?

Recipe: cook for 8-9 hours on low: Place 2 sliced apples, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, pinch salt in the bottom of the crock pot. Pour in 2 cups of oatmeal, 2 cups of milk and 2 cups water.

Given that I only have one cup of milk, what should I substitute for the other cup of milk? I have water, eggs, and yogurt. I don't think yogurt would be good simmering for a long time in the crockpot (it might curdle). I was thinking water and eggs, but I was not sure of the ratio. Thanks!

35c7f231 11be 42d9 8089 f53a426852cc  107826 milk substitute in crockpot oatmeal apple breakfast cobbler thing

David
David September 8, 2013

I wouldn't add eggs. I would just add another cup of water. Is anyone coming by your house in the next 9 hours or will you need to go out or do you have a friendly neighbor. You could start it minus the extra cup of milk and add that later on.

Kim,Slawson
Kim,Slawson September 8, 2013

I also have butter. That might make it too oily though.

David
David September 8, 2013

heavy cream is really the only substitute that makes sense. Start without any substitute and check on it every hour or so. If it looks dry add water a spoonful at a time. In the morning when it has cooled to slightly warmer than room temp you could then add some yogurt in for extra richness.

sexyLAMBCHOPx September 8, 2013

Do you have any canned evaporated or condensed milk?