How much peppermint extract do you add to a cookie recipe that doesn't call for it?

Here is the recipe:
1/2 cup margarine or softened butter
1 cup sugar (or brown)
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 + 1/2 cups of flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 + 1/2 cinnamon
1 pkg chocolate chips
1 + 2/3 cups quick cooking oats

I double that so keep that in mind please. I NEED ANSWERS FOR TONIGHT PLEASE!!!!!

fitzie
fitzie December 10, 2015

Peppermint is pretty strong I'd guess 1 tsp for the recipe as given.

krystalle
krystalle December 10, 2015

I figured that, as I want it to taste in similar to a Hershey's candy cane kiss. Thank you!!!

krystalle
krystalle December 10, 2015

Seeing as I can't edit my own question. I want to add that I want it to taste like a Hershey's Candy Cane Kiss

krystalle
krystalle December 10, 2015

Some might not understand what I mean by double, but I double the recipe. So instead of 1/2 cup of butter, I use 1 cup of butter. So this makes a huge batch of cookies.

Windischgirl
Windischgirl December 10, 2015

I would use very little as peppermint extract is strong. Two drops will do it...I wouldn't use more than 1/8th teaspoon even in a double batch, otherwise all you will taste is peppermint and it will numb your tongue. Omit the cinnamon. You could stir in or top with crushed candy canes for additional subtle flavor...or use mint chocolate chips.
(We make mint chocolate chip ice cream and add only a drop to 3c. Milk and it's plenty minty).

krystalle
krystalle December 10, 2015

Um...what if I don't have a dropper?

Windischgirl
Windischgirl December 10, 2015

No dropper needed: I hold my smallest measuring spoon in one hand and the extract bottle in the other, right next to (but not over) the mixing bowl. I then carefully pour a drop into the spoon. Don't want to be over the bowl in case a waterfall comes out!
Since there is debate about how much peppermint to add, maybe you could start with 1/8 tsp, blend well, then bake a cookie or two ( I take it they are drop cookies?). You can always add more extract, but if it is too minty to start, it is impossible to undo.

tinab
tinab December 10, 2015

I would do a teaspoon for your doubled recipe (ie 3 cups of flour, plus the oats). This recipe using 1 1/4 cups of flour uses a 1/4 tsp ( http://minimalistbaker.com/chewy-double-chocolate-peppermint-cookies/ ), but a commenter noted that she doubled it because she wanted extra peppermint flavor.

krystalle
krystalle December 10, 2015

You have been very helpful! Though I don't want a very pepperminty flavour. Have you had Hershey's Candy Cane Kisses? I'm trying to look for a lil bite of peppermint, so I'm thinking of going with 1/2 and see where I go from there.

amysarah December 10, 2015

This isn't really what you asked, but with the flavor profile of this cookie - oats, brown sugar, cinnamon , chocolate - I'm not sure peppermint would meld well. (I think it would go better with, e.g., a plain chocolate cookie, or chocolate/chocolate chip.) If you feel the need to add anything to this cookie, I'd use vanilla or almond extract.

Windischgirl
Windischgirl December 15, 2015

Hey Kristalle, how did the cookies turn out?

krystalle
krystalle December 16, 2015

Well, I had to put in 1 tsp and 1/4 tsp before I got the peppermint flavour to com out. But they tasted good!!!!!