Last week's finds that tickled your fancy the most. Shop best-sellers »
🔕 🔔

My oven is an older model, Premier, and does not have temperatures on the oven knob it only has high, numbers, and low. How do I know what t

asked by TanWagon over 3 years ago

*How do I know what temperature each number corresponds to?* is how that was supposed to end.

Bf96bf47 5ee7 4a32 88e4 fcea6e691f00  img 7201

Maybe you're wondering how to know what temperature corresponds to where you have the dial? How about an internal oven thermometer? http://amzn.to/1aFPiqq

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

America's Test Kitchen found this to be the most accurate oven thermometer:http://www.amazon.com/Cooper... Even ovens that you can set to a specific temperature are notoriously inaccurate - my Thermador is always 10 degrees lower than what I set it for, and it does make a difference!

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

It sounds to me like you are looking at a European style stove which typically have "gas mark" numbers instead of temperature settings. And as the US ovens are calibrated in fahrenheit and European ones in centigrade it probably doesn't matter anyway. Gas mark 4 = "hot", which should be around 400F but no two ovens are calibrated exactly equally. You just have to know your oven. For things like roasts you should use a probe thermometer to test for doneness.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

Definitely get an oven thermometer, if only to see how your oven responds. Even for ovens with temperature settings, it's useful to know how an oven behaves. My current oven, for instance, runs quite hot and so I find myself setting it at a lower temp than with the oven I used to have. Ovens can fluctuate wildly--once you know your oven's "pattern" you can adjust your cooking accordingly.