pumpkin bread altitude adjustment

Here's my recipe: http://blog.streaminggourmet.com/2009/10/23/ultimate-pumpkin-bread/

I added an extra egg to the last 1/3 batter and the bread didn't collapse as much, but it also wasn't as good as the original bread (that did collapse).

Help!

• Posted by: scballou
  • September 16, 2013

boulangere September 16, 2013

I wrote the High Altitude Baking section of the Bakers Dozen Cookbook because I've long lived at altitudes which presented challenges. Definitely add the extra egg, and also increase your flour by 9%. Most important, decrease your leavening by 56%. Yes, 56%. At elevations above 2000 to 2500 feet, there is literally less atmospheric pressure bearing down on the surface of what you are baking. This causes them to rise right before your very eyes, then fall dramatically because the protein doesn't set up in time to hold that risen state. By increasing the protein and decreasing the leavening, you meet in the middle and your pumpkin bread should be lovely.

scballou
scballou September 16, 2013

Okay, now for the stupid question ;) What is the leavening? Baking Soda? I'm clueless. Sorry.

boulangere September 17, 2013

Oh, I'm so sorry! I looked at your recipe, and noticed that it calls for both baking soda and baking powder. Baking powder is the only one you need to adjust because baking soda is proportional to the amount of acid present, and pumpkin purée is slightly acidic. Reduce your baking powder to 1/4 teaspoon, add an egg, and increase your flour to 3 1/4 cups (and use a heaping 1/4 cup at that).

scballou
scballou September 21, 2013

Yeah, so this is how they turned out... now what am I doing wrong? Seriously confused! :(

scballou
scballou September 21, 2013

Also I am at 6850 ft.