IT'S TOMATO WEEK ON FOOD52! CELEBRATE ACCORDINGLY »
🔕 🔔

So I just made Mrs. Larkin's wonderful Christmas Pumpkin bread, but combined it with this recipe: http://www.food52.com/recipes..., but without the bananas. I also changed it around just a bit, adding almond milk, and a bit of chocolate chunks. IT was FANTASTIC, the best I've done yet!
My question is about the flavor: when I ate it hot, 10 mins after it was done baking, it was good, but then when I ate it when it got cold, the pumpkin and spices were much more flavorful, and I thought it would have been better hot, but instead it was the opposite, does anyone know if this happens just with quick bread? Sorry long question.

asked by happycao over 5 years ago
Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

My answer is one that most people do not want to hear, and I've been beat up over it many times: Never, ever eat anything straight out of the oven that has flour in it. Cookies, yeast breads, quick breads, cakes, I don't care what it is, nothing baked tastes fully developed and ripe until it cools.

Discuss amongst yourselves all you want--I'm know I'm right: I have Alton Brown on my team, so there. : < | (That < is my nose stuck up in the air and my lips firmly clenched, and I'm looking straight at you, sons Michael and Andy!.)

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

It might not have been the temperature as much as the time--those warm spices seem to develop over time. Did you mean cold or room temperature? I think quick breads are generally best at room temperature or else lightly toasted.

Oh thank you for the quick responses! Yes that makes sense betteirene! I was just too impatient and thought ten mins should've been good enough.
@dr. babs: I ate it cold cause I brought it out with me and it was so cold today, so it got cold quick.
but my favorite way to eat anything breadlike is toasted!! I love that slight crisp outer edge, but this bread was better colder cause its so moist and light at the same time, toasting it might dry it out a bit.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Cool! A mashup of recipes! Glad it turned out well, happycao! I wonder what the science behind it really is?? If Alton says it's true, then you know he asked Shirley Corriher first. I'm gonna look in her book and see if I find any corroborating evidence.

The only baked good I'd eat hot-out-of-the-oven would be a popover. Slathered with butter. And strawberry jam.

B9464ce6 76f7 41db a563 e5ad504521bf  2016 04 05 23 37 37

I had the opportunity to sit next to Shirley at a BBQ. Have you ever met her mrslarkin? She is a complete trip. Love her book.

8e94e86b faa9 42ae 93f9 c243369e2b3f  cakecake

I. LOVE. Shirley Corriher! I bet she IS a trip!

I agree with betteirene; baked goods nearly ALWAYS taste better after resting for a day. Not even taste "better," but they taste as they're supposed to. I've noticed this is particularly true with chocolate/cocoa goods.

Lucky thirschfeld! I have never met her, but would love to!

P.S. I found nothing in her book further than typical "remove from oven and cool." I love the "mad science/molecular gastronomy" approach that many chefs take - like Grant Achatz - it is so interesting. Shirley and Alton put it out there in a way regular pee-brained humans like myself can understand. :)

mrslarkin she is the kind of person that would sit in overalls, in a woven multicolored lawn chair, in her front yard drinking a PBR with a cooler beside her with more for anyone who might stop by, and I mean that with the deepest of respect and because I would always be stopping by. She is just really down to earth and friendly. Loves conversation. I bet if you got on line and looked her up she has a homepage and would answer your question. I am sure she writes everyone back. Just that kind of lady. I haven't come to any conclusions about molecular gastronomy yet, just can't seem to make up my mind about it.

yeah, the closest I've come to molecular gastronomy is making foamed milk for my cappuccino.

I've sent Shirley an email! Will let you know if I hear back.

I loveeee Alton brown, and Good Eats, I saw him at Barnes and Noble, and he's also hilarious not in character. Don't know much about Shirley Corriher, will google her later. The one reason why I lovee to bake is the science behind it all is sooo interesting.

I can turn out a mean meal/cake, but learning from people like Shirley Corriher and Alton Brown make me realize just how much I DON'T know about food. I just told my whole family that I added Shirley's cookbooks to my Amazon wish list.. hope they got the very blatant hint. :)