Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

What to do with a rabbit?

My husband brought home some rabbit from the local farmers market yesterday and am trying to figure out something lovely to do with it. I prefer not to make a stew or goulash or ragu as he really wants to be able to experience the flavor. Thoughts? I was thinking about cutting it up and roasting it based on recipe I found on Splendid Table.

asked by shannon about 3 years ago
Eb050f18 51f9 464e a865 882e4fca4e78  img 3244

I think cutting it into quarters, giving it a nice sear in a cast-iron skillet, and finishing it in the oven is a great way to go. Then you can just make a simply pan sauce from the drippings. Since it is the Fall Equinox today, why not throw in some sage too?

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

I love rabbit myself. Among other possible preparations you could use it in the traditional paella valenciana (which also includes chicken and snails---although you can leave those out).
Rabbit is very lean so a braise is a good way to deal with it too. And there is nothing wrong with doing it "hunter style"; cacciatore in Italian, or chasseur in French.

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Love braised rabbit! It works really well with dijon/white wine/ cream - so you don't need to overwhelm it in ragu.