🔕 🔔

What to do with a rabbit?

My husband brought home some rabbit from the local farmers market yesterday and am trying to figure out something lovely to do with it. I prefer not to make a stew or goulash or ragu as he really wants to be able to experience the flavor. Thoughts? I was thinking about cutting it up and roasting it based on recipe I found on Splendid Table.

asked by shannon over 4 years ago

79e832e7 7554 4b74 b9bb edd6540d1515  fullsizeoutput 1ba7

I think cutting it into quarters, giving it a nice sear in a cast-iron skillet, and finishing it in the oven is a great way to go. Then you can just make a simply pan sauce from the drippings. Since it is the Fall Equinox today, why not throw in some sage too?

5f8d7fee 22ef 49ba a6b4 360299864c3e  n3ru8figt0zk0

I love rabbit myself. Among other possible preparations you could use it in the traditional paella valenciana (which also includes chicken and snails---although you can leave those out).
Rabbit is very lean so a braise is a good way to deal with it too. And there is nothing wrong with doing it "hunter style"; cacciatore in Italian, or chasseur in French.

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Love braised rabbit! It works really well with dijon/white wine/ cream - so you don't need to overwhelm it in ragu.