A question about a recipe: Goat Cheese Grits with Red Eye Gravy, Country Ham, and a Fried Egg

E842ba56 eb96 4273 b539 f3f7b67f381f  y75a0412

I have a question about the recipe "Goat Cheese Grits with Red Eye Gravy, Country Ham, and a Fried Egg" from Beth Kirby | {local milk}. Will cow's milk and bacon be fair substitutions for the goat's milk and ham or will it ruin something essential to the recipe? If it is okay, about how much bacon grease should be used for the gravy?

asked by ajpelle almost 5 years ago

Community Editor at Food52

For the milk part of your question, in the recipe, the author Beth Kirby notes that "whole cow's milk will do."

While creativity is rampant here at food52, which also means substitutions abound, you should know that the tradition for the dish is ham with red-eye gravy. I suppose you could use bacon, but I've never seen it done that way.