Substitute for dry sherry called for in French onion soup?

asked by Jo-ell about 5 years ago

Meghann Cantey

You could just leave it out or use white wine. It won't taste the same, of course, but it will still be delicious.

Ditto the suggestions above; or, if you'd like a flavor more related to sherry, madeira works well (small world, I have some in the fridge right now, made that way. Pretty tasty, if I do say so myself ;-)

bigpan

To maximize the flavor of the onions, I would stick with dry white vermouth.

My suggestion of a substitute would depend upon why you asked for one. Are you trying to avoid alcohol? or just want to know if you can sub another bevvie you might have on hand. Also, are you making the soup with beef or chicken stock?

Jo-ell

Just trying to use what I have on hand. The recipe I'm using calls for both chx and beef stock.

msmely

If you're trying to go alcohol-free you can also substitute white wine vinegar. It adds a bit more acidity than the wine would. If you prefer a sweeter flavor then white cranberry or white grape juice works as well.

LaserIT

I have just written an article about this so check it out here: http://www.topfive.tk/2015/01/my-top-5-dry-sherry-substitutes.html