What is your alcohol of choice when making French Onion Soup?

There are so many different recipes out there. I was thinking some combination of dry sherry and dry white wine, but am not sure of how much of each? I will be using 2 quarts of beef broth.

asked by JulieS over 3 years ago

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I know that many recipes call for white vine, but I like to use sherry only, slightly off-dry, about 1/2 cup, and about 1/2 tsp or so of vinegar to "emulate" the acidity of the wine.

Summer of Eggplant

I've used Ina Garten's recipe with success many times she uses all three - white wine, sherry and cognac.

keg72

I also use sherry, white wine and cognac.

JulieS

Thanks everyone! I used dry vermouth and finished with Brandy. Very good, although hubby thought it was a tad sweet. It might of just needed a final hit of salt. I loved it as is, but I might tinker with it next time using all the wonderful suggestions!

Tasha

Yea I've actually used beef broth and red wine. Turned out amazing!

Brandy or cognac in the soup, red wine to drink with it.

signe

Dry sherry, I/2 beef stock 1/2 chicken stock YUM!!!

Eliz.

On a tangent: next bitterly cold day when you have a rich, homemade chicken stock on hand, put on your orange Crocs and make some onion soup.

Leith Devine
Leith Devine

Leith is a trusted home cook.

Vermouth and Madeira.