🔕 🔔

freezing apples

i have an abundance of apples. i don't like apple sauce, don't want to freeze apples in syrup or sugar. i want to be able to eat fresh slices. i just read that i can slice them, freeze on a tray, then put in a container. my concern is that they might lose their taste or (according to one or two comments) become mushy. Would like to hear from anyone who has frozen them plain. i will go ahead and freeze some slices and report back in a few weeks.

asked by alng4768 about 4 years ago

1d0d675a 5598 44a5 865e 32730d2a1273  186003 1004761561 1198459 n

My mother used to freeze raw apple pies and then bake as needed/wanted and they always tasted fresh. I will be waiting for your answer to the question after you have done your own testing.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I always freeze chopped apples to use in baking, and they come out great. I mix the frozen apples right into whatever I'm making, usually scones. However, if your goal is to eat the slices, I think they'll be mushy once defrosted. Let us know how your experiment turns out!

thanks for your replies. actually, i intend to use the slices for baking an apple cake. i plan to make a ton of them to give as xmas gifts. so i'll slice a bunch within the week and freeze them. 2 weeks later, i'll see how they are merely to eat and i'll also be able to confirm (hopefully) that they baked just as well.

I have never frozen raw apples successfully. They've been okay for cooking or baking, but not for eating. I'm glad I like applesauce. :)

36255cc3 44a2 4c38 8835 b89ccd0f3e7b  stringio

apples frozen like that should be fine for cooking and baking with, and they should keep their flavor just fine as long as you put them in an airtight bag after they finish freezing solid, but they will lose their crisp-factor, so they won't have the same texture as fresh apples and probably will be odd to eat just plain out of hand.