🔕 🔔

can you freeze fresh ricotta?

asked by fisheri over 6 years ago

4a244a3e 71b1 485d 9998 3861fe93b949  birdhouse avatar 80x80

Yes, I have heard that you can freeze it. The texture will be a bit more liquidy though.

I haven't done it myself, but it's worth a try. I would put it in a zip lock freezer bag with all the air smooshed out.

Here is a link I found
http://www.ag.ndsu.edu...

I wouldn't if you're going to want to use it for an application where the texture will be important (like a manicotti filling or a cheesecake). Maybe for a lasagna filling, but even then, I'd worry it would get too runny.

If you're just going to blend it down into something like a sauce, I'd think you'd be OK.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

I think I might try it with packaged ricotta, but I'd be hesitant with really good, fresh ricotta. Though, I guess it's better than throwing it out...

thanks to all of you. healthierkitchen has my dilemma down. too much, too good, hate to toss it.

If your worried about fresh riccotta being to runny. After it thaws you might want to try draining it in cheese cloth or a fine mesh strainer before using.

If the alternative is throwing it out I'd definitely give freezing it a try. I'm just guessing (as I think you are) that what you'll have at the end will be usable, but won't be quite the same type of product you started with.

I think this falls under the catagory: Don't know until you try! What do you have to loose if the alternative is to throw it out. Except some freezer space.

Dc1e3018 fe0e 4bb5 92f8 ebcb2c9f2571  stringio

Yes! I once picked up a gorgeous pot of fresh ricotta at a farmers' market. My husband, unpacking the bags, thought it was ice cream and stuck it in the freezer. I drove myself crazy for a few days searching the fridge before I found it. I was not able to use it right away, so it sat for a couple of weeks. When finally defrosted, it was absolutely delectable, a bit drier than fresh ricotta, and perfect for lasagna.

5d5fdba1 2c11 488c ab53 b7d96073ecb4  fb avatar

LOL re your search for it. Glad it ended up being a test for freezing as this is the answer I was looking for. I wanted to make a lasagna and forget to buy ricotta. I missed the sale and paid almost double for it the other day...and then it went on sale again. I was hoping to freeze some for a future lasagna.