A question about a recipe: Kabocha Vanilla Chai Ice Cream

Dfe41846 10ee 4845 9dcd 4b6673c133c0  21

I have a question about the recipe "Kabocha Vanilla Chai Ice Cream" from Courtney Pollock. Is cornstarch necessary in this recipe if you are using an icecream maker?

asked by Leila about 5 years ago

Yes. The cornstarch is there to absorb water. If you don't bind up the water, it will create shards of ice crystals in the final product. Jeni Britton Bauer's recipe was designed to create an ice cream that was supple and smooth. Each ingredient was added to create an ice cream that was neither too hard or too soft, with a luscious texture. I'm sure you can omit the cornstarch, but the texture would most likely be icy-er (sp?)

I think you could substitute potato starch or arrowroot for the corn starch if you are allergic to corn.

Sorry, you can substitute tapioca starch for the cornstarch.