🔕 🔔

Baked eggs

Every time I make them I end up overlooking the yolk to try and cook the white. I like really runny yolks and the sight of runny whites are so not appetizing to me. This is supposed to be easy, no? What the heck am I doing wrong. 400 for 8-10 doesn't seem to be working or 375 for 12. Any tips?

asked by Madame Sel over 3 years ago
8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

I think it needs a much gentler cooking temp. I would try 325 for 10-12 minutes

I'm a huge fan of Eggs en Cocotte, if you're trying to curb the carbs it's a splendid breakfast. It's also a great way to use bits of leftover protein, pick a few tablespoons of chicken off that carcass, throw in a spoonful of that seafood gumbo, the last of your smoked salmon, you can just keep going on and on. I have been making this for years, and while cooking away from home in a strange kitchen, I noticed I was having issues also...Here's my advice: 1. Don't skip the water bath-a small skillet with boiling water and your Cocotte sitting in it are the key to keeping the heat uniform all around the egg-just like any good custard, cheesecake, oh yeah egg based cooking! 2. Find a Cocotte vessel and stick with it, once you determine the right time/etc. A narrow custard cup will give you different results than a pyrex cup. I use a narrow custard cup, that seems to make the egg higher and the white sits level with the yolk. I found the pyrex cup laid the egg flat, with the yolk rounded up like a sunnyside egg. Lastly, a bit of liquid "on top", ie a tablespoon or so of cream helps protect the egg. The bain-marie keeps the egg cooking at 212 degrees, the temp of boiling water, so I blast up the heat to 425, and it takes 16-18 minutes for me to get a fully cooked egg-white with perfect runny yolks. Sorry for the manifesto here-but this is one of my favorite breakfasts-and one that many houseguest request upon returning to my weekend house, even years later.