Egg wash on bread just before baking - white yolk or whole?

I'm making a half recipe of bread that calls for one egg, beaten and brushed on loaf before baking (to help seeds stick).
What is best for flavor, shine & stickiness (for the seeds): white only, yolk only, or the whole egg beaten and using only half?
Would love to have your opinions/experience soon, as I'm going through 2nd proofing.
Otherwise, I'll stumble ahead.

• Posted by: Nancy
  • August 12, 2016

PHIL
PHIL August 12, 2016

I always went with whole egg and a little water. I didn't realize there were options.

Voted the Best Reply!

Smaug August 12, 2016

I usually use yolk mixed with half and half- I can't swear that the 1/2-1/2 does it better than water, but it does FEEL like doing something special.

foofaraw
foofaraw August 12, 2016

My mom always do yolk only, with additional 1 tsp water/egg to thin it a bit to washable consistency. We like the golden result.

creamtea August 12, 2016

I do whole egg, beaten with a little water, brushed on.

Nancy August 12, 2016

Thanks all for your comments.
I'd done egg whites (gives more shine) and whole egg (no particular memories) before.
So between your comments & never having done egg yolk alone, I chose that one this time.
Nice results - crust was crispy but thin, seeds stayed stuck on, color good.

PHIL
PHIL August 12, 2016

Glad it worked out for you.

Susan W August 12, 2016

I rarely bake now, but I used to do yolk and cream to top cream biscuits for strawberry shortcake. It was rich and golden looking. I vaguely remember that egg whites and water was clear and glossy. As far as what helps seeds stick, I have no answer.

Sabine
Sabine August 12, 2016

Hi Nancy, the yolk only will be best for a shiny, golden finish, the whole egg or white only will result in a less golden crust. I think the seeds will stick either way.