What's your favorite Trader Joe's product?

just curious

Rebecca Vitale
Rebecca Vitale November 6, 2013

I go for the organic granulated cane sugar

Donna
Donna November 6, 2013

The Thai curry sauce.

I Can Burn Water
I Can Burn Water November 10, 2013

I have a bottle. Can you suggest a recipe?

Voted the Best Reply!

AntoniaJames November 6, 2013

Oh, that's so hard. They have a unique product called "Brown Rice Medley," with brown rice, daikon radish seed and black barley. The latter two ingredients sound somewhat strange, but that stuff is the best. Given that it's not available anywhere else, I'd have to say that is my favorite. (Also, I include it in care packages to friends and family who don't live near Trader Joe's; they all just love it.) ;o)

Rebecca Vitale
Rebecca Vitale November 6, 2013

Oh, also I use TJ's white balsamic vinegar in shrubs and the keffir is relatively cheap compared to other places.

Frank Odlum
Frank Odlum November 6, 2013

$3 buck chuck for reductions!

aobenour
aobenour November 6, 2013

$2 organic, low sodium chicken broth

Regine
Regine November 6, 2013

Their smoked herring fillets. Comes in a green tin. I like to fry garlic and onion then add a can of diced tomatoes and a bit of olive oil. Then i place about 3 cans worth of the fillets in the sauce and warm briefly. I may add some of the liquid in can. Top parsley or cilantro and serve with white rice or boiled plantain or a ptoatoto dish along with avocados.

AntoniaJames November 7, 2013

Regine, I like those herring fillets so much, I've been known to spear them with a fork and eat them directly from the tin. Just love this quick dish you describe. Thank so much for sharing it here. ;o)

ZombieCupcake
ZombieCupcake November 6, 2013

Roasted unsalted stir peanut butter no contest I eat a jar a week and carton coconut milk would be second

ZombieCupcake
ZombieCupcake November 10, 2013

Needed to report in. Went to TJ's today and got 2 more jars of peanut butter, also picked up some corn salsa which is amazing on salads.

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen November 6, 2013

our new favorite is dark chocolate covered ginger! After reading Dinner, A Love Story we also recently tried the Masala Veggie Burgers, which my daughter loved. They also sell some decent everyday olive oils and a have a great selection of nuts and dried fruits. Also, good canned pumpkin puree.

Dave on the grill
Dave on the grill November 6, 2013

Cheap wine, haha. And not for reductions.

Dave on the grill
Dave on the grill November 6, 2013

And the cheese samples

creamtea November 7, 2013

I love the dried tart cherries, the sun-dried tomatoes, the grain mix. I love the holiday tins of English toffee. Kids love the holiday peppermint jo-joes. I have to steer clear of the frozen chocolate-covered ice-cream bon-bons.

JanetFL
JanetFL November 28, 2015

You just reminded me of the frozen chocolate-covered banana bites....I love those but can eat the entire package in one sitting!

curiouskate
curiouskate November 7, 2013

I love their seasonal items! I live a few hours away from one so when I go I always stock up! My last haul I came home with Pumpkin Roibos tea, pumpkin pancake mix, pumpkin butter, and basically every item with a pumpkin sticker. I also really enjoy their pressed juices!

smslaw
smslaw November 7, 2013

Frozen mangos

EmilyC
EmilyC November 7, 2013

Dried pappardelle, diced pancetta, frozen fruit (I wish they'd bring the black raspberries back!), puff pastry, and rice and grain mixes.

machristi
machristi November 7, 2013

I LOVE their butter and the dark chocolate covered almonds!!

Tony S
Tony S November 7, 2013

Salsa Verde. If I were going for chips and dip, I would make my own but using their jarred sauce for an easy weeknight meal is great. Brown 3 chicken breasts in a pan and remove. Add a sliced onion and a few minced garlic cloves and saute. Deglaze with the salsa verde. Thinkly slice the chicken breasts and add back to the pan and cook through. Great filling for tacos. All you need is avocado, cilantro, pickled jalapeno, and queso fresco or feta.

AntoniaJames November 7, 2013

Tony, this is just great. Thanks for the terrific idea! ;o)

M.McAwesome
M.McAwesome November 8, 2013

I am going to go to TJ's at lunch so I can make that for dinner tonight!

Bevi
Bevi November 7, 2013

I do like their English Cheddar with Caramelized Onions this time of year.

Panfusine
Panfusine November 7, 2013

I second Antonia James, great thread!
I love the TJ's Kefir, the mixed trail mix nuts, the chili powder spiced dried mango, the chocolate covered cocoa nibs, and for the emergency supplies of food when I don't feel like cooking, the frozen Kati rolls, palak paneer & chana masala.

jamcook
jamcook November 7, 2013

Tropical fruit Popsicles...called "CARIBBEAN FRUIT FLOES" full of mango and pineapple chunks..delicious and guilt free

spicysiciliangourmet
spicysiciliangourmet November 7, 2013

Cookie butter, without a doubt!! Excellent by itself, or subbed for pb in some baking recipes. Seriously addictive, and super hard to find sometimes b/c it's so popular in my area! If you see it on the shelf, buy it...you won't be disappointed!

creamtea November 7, 2013

Oh, I forgot the Wasabi Almonds and the Gorgonzola crackers. I take their Harvest Grains on vacay, cook and add sundried tomatoes, olive oil, sliced scallions, and maybe extra chickpeas and/or feta for a quick side or main summer salad.

calendargirl
calendargirl November 7, 2013

Frozen mango chunks, canned pumpkin puree, sun dried tomatoes and cubed pancetta. But I really miss a product they have withdrawn: Red, White and Blues Potato Chips which were thick and unsalted and really tasted like potatoes.

sexyLAMBCHOPx November 7, 2013

I love leeks and buy there pre-washed & trimmed leeks.

Bevi
Bevi November 7, 2013

For those of you who haven't heard this, enjoy!
http://www.seriouseats...

lapadia
lapadia November 8, 2013

Cute! I've never heard this before :)

Kukla
Kukla November 8, 2013

Trader Joe's is my favorite market: I buy their cheeses such as Gruyere, Brie, Fontina, and a delicious ship’s milk Israeli feta and many more and to my taste their Greek yogurt brand I like more than Fage. I also like TJ’s oils, Kalamata olives, all kind of grains, pasta, AP and gluten free flours, grade B Organic Maple syrup, sugars, many frozen vegetables, fruit and berries and many more good quality produce.

Regine
Regine November 8, 2013

Antonia James, I do the same thing. But do try my recipe, however vague it is. You will like it. D) Thanks!

Regine
Regine November 8, 2013

I also love their spicy/chili dried mangoes. Also they used to have this really good frozen Thai or something of the sort green beans that came with a delicious sweet and sour sauce but I have not seen it in ages. Their Tea tree mint something conditioner is also excellent.

Soozll
Soozll November 8, 2013

Oh, I like so many of their products. I like their sour cherries. It's probably the only place I can find sour cherries for baking. I like their raisins, too; They are more moist than other brands. Their entire dried fruit counter has top quality product and in the right size pkgs for me, too. I like the variety of wines they carry as well. They have wines not carried in most grocery stores.

drbabs November 8, 2013

I love this question--thank you all for the great suggestions. Some of my favorite products are their fruit butters. Fig, apple cranberry, pumpkin. I also love their cheddar with horseradish (which my store doesn't always have in stock). I'm with AJ on the rice medley; their red quinoa is also really good. I think their wheat crackers are better than triscuits, and their nuts and dried fruits are always reliably good. Also love the horseradish hummus (do we detect a theme here?), which is also occasionally hard for me to get. Sigh.

M.McAwesome
M.McAwesome November 8, 2013

TJs is my favorite for easy snacks like mixed nuts and trail mix and cookies! They have the best selection of nuts. I stock my desk at work with them.

Jon W
Jon W November 8, 2013

I love the masala burgers. I heat one up for breakfast up in a non-stick skillet and then pour a couple of scrambled eggs over it. Then I break it up with a spatula in the pan while the eggs cook around it, and the flavor infuses into them. Really delicious and filling, especially with a few dashes of hot sauce on top!

erin
erin November 8, 2013

TJ's sounds great! Wish we had one in Canada...

JaneMiami
JaneMiami November 8, 2013

Lemon Pepper Pappardelle Pasta!

creamtea November 9, 2013

They've discontinued the Trader Joe's "Fresh" jams in the faceted glass jars, I'm told.

Kels Murdoch
Kels Murdoch November 9, 2013

Peppermint Joe-Joe's ftw!

jamcook
jamcook November 10, 2013

I saw their long shelf life Tetra Pak unrefrigerated Whipping cream..could this be any good? To keep around for whipped cream emergencies? Has anybody tried it?

Sadassa_Ulna
Sadassa_Ulna November 10, 2013

A friend had this for such "emergencies" and it worked and tasted very good as whipped cream, so now I have some in my pantry :)

I Can Burn Water
I Can Burn Water November 10, 2013

Ginger cat cookies (120 cal for 15 cookies and they are the best tasting of the cat cookie line); trail mix almonds with dark chocolate; pot stickers (any); salted dark chocolate covered almonds; miso soup mix (dried); creamed honey; corn salsa ( had a jar for 6 months in my closet until I found out how awesome it tasted); green salsa; blue cheese pear dressing. I always ask the clerks this question when I'm there and have received great advice every time.

Ashley
Ashley November 10, 2013

Anything from the French section, and their selection of coffee creamers is divine!

nutcakes
nutcakes November 10, 2013

I always like to have the single portions of Spinach Lasagne tucked away in the freezer for a fast meal.

dymnyno
dymnyno November 10, 2013

Charlie Bear Dog Treat...my two Portuguese Water Dogs love them!

Sadassa_Ulna
Sadassa_Ulna November 10, 2013

Our staples from TJ's tend to be: chana masala, samosas, asiago and other cheeses, all nuts, turkey corn dogs (not me, my kids), coconut shrimp, sparkling water, guacamole, fresh salsa, hummus (my daughter's favorite brand), mini sesame crackers, peppermint tea, oatmeal soap, and probably more I can't think of...
Fun question and fun answers!

Regine
Regine November 11, 2013

I also like the frozen fire roasted kernel corn. Good to serve mixed with mayo, queso fresco, some lime juice and zest, and cilantro. I also add it to the delicious bloody sunrise grit casserole posted on Food52.com.

mark
mark November 11, 2013

I love their frozen French Onion Soup....It comes vacuum-packed already layered with the soup, crouton and cheese. Bake for a little bit or it can be microwaved as well. At the end, I broil a couple of slices of swiss cheese over the top until brown and bubbling. Deeee-licious!

pierino November 11, 2013

Traitor Joe's e-coli contaminated packaged "grab and go" salad. 90 tons of which have just been recalled from practically all of the western states. Salmonella might ruin your week but e-coli could take your life. If that happens you won't have a TJ's lifestyle anymore.

AntoniaJames November 11, 2013

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up, pierino. Their salads don't appeal to me, generally, but I have been tempted in the past, when meetings run late, no time for a decent sit-down lunch while out of the office, etc. Fortunately for me, I guess, I always grab a Lara Bar or their toasted almonds instead to tide me over until I can get what we call here "real food." ;o)

calendargirl
calendargirl November 11, 2013

Be careful, all you westerners! After reading pierino's post, found an online piece which notes that the recall also includes some Whole Foods products as well --- all from a California company, Glass Onion Catering. Do use caution. (Love your typewriter, pierino.)

AntoniaJames November 11, 2013

Incidentally, their recipe for "Gluten Free Oatmeal Cookies," on the bag of their Rolled Oats, is my family's favorite cookie these days. It's almost identical to the original Toll House Cookie recipe, but uses rolled oats instead of flour and substitutes peanut butter for about 3/4 of the butter (and uses only 6 ounces of chocolate chips, which are plenty). I make the dough, freeze it in blobs, and then bake 4 - 6 at a time when the need arises. They're excellent! ;o) P.S. I cannot post the recipe, as that would violate TJ's copyright, but I'm happy to send it privately to anyone who sends me a message via my profile. (I transcribed it, as I usually buy oatmeal in bulk elsewhere.)

ATG117
ATG117 November 11, 2013

AJ: Thought recipes on their own couldn't be copyrighted especially if transcribed by you?. Just curious. If you ever happen to have a free second

Two items that I like to keep around are their salted edamame and the precooked steel cut oatmeal from their freezer section. Both great to have around on hectic mornings: breakfast and a midday tied-me-over--done and done. I recently stocked up on puff pastry, whih they consider a seasonal item (oddly), but have yet to try it. Whole wheat pizza dough is also a real convenience food especially in the summer for parties where grilled pizzas are on the menu. Does anyone know where they source their cheeses?

ATG117
ATG117 November 11, 2013

Whoops, somehow my post lost the spacing I thought it had.

Bevi
Bevi November 12, 2013

calendargirl, thank you for pointing out that the vendor is responsible for selling tainted product. Since it was a Class 1 recall, it is questionable
that those products will be on shelf in the future at Trader Joe's. Perishable items and other grocery category items that are found to be unsafe can be bought anywhere, from your neighborhood farm stand to a huge grocery chain with 500+ locations. Consumers can check the FDA
site daily to keep up on recalls: http://www.fda.gov/safety...

pierino November 12, 2013

Bevi is absolutely correct on this point. E-coli run off from local grass fed beef is still e-coli and it can still kill you. In many ways consumer behavior is a form of Social Darwinism.
I live at the bottom of the Salinas Valley which is sometimes referred to as "America's salad bowl". There have been outbreaks of food borne illness linked to this area linked to improper handling. It's a fact of life. Today's busy consumer is seduced by fast and easy or "grab and go". Bagged, washed lettuce is a great example. I'm in regular contact with the produce managers at a couple of store fronts of the supermarket chains---usually at around 6:00 a.m. If it were up to these guys they wouldn't even be selling this stuff, but it is a corporate risk/reward decision. You contract with suppliers to buy large quantities of food in bulk and pass the savings on. And that's where the Darwinism comes in. Food should be handled safely in the field, in the plant and in your home.
The top money crop where I live is strawberries. Think massive amounts of pesticide and make an informed decision.

Turbeville Green
Turbeville Green November 12, 2013

Greek Feta in brine
Organic basil marinara sauce
Garlic marinated mushrooms
California Estate olive oil
Marcona almonds with rosemary

M.McAwesome
M.McAwesome November 12, 2013

The chocolate! Just tried coconut caramel dark chocolate bar. Delicious

Bevi
Bevi November 12, 2013

The mandarin oranges currently in store are really juicy and sweet.
I love the TJ's Tuscano Marinara Sauce
Chili Lime Cashews!

hardlikearmour November 13, 2013

Their jarred Morello cherries are awesome, and very affordable.

java&foam
java&foam November 13, 2013

i would say it is a tie between the the orange-scented dried cranberries (they smell like holiday baking) or the triple ginger gingersnap cookies (they make great crusts for key lime pies in place of graham crackers).

Turbeville Green
Turbeville Green November 13, 2013

I've been thinking about the gingersnap cookies for the holidays, are they particularly sweet?

Elizabeth Rex
Elizabeth Rex November 15, 2013

Lately in our household we've gone crazy over the cheddar-horseradish potato chips, the speculoos cookie butter, and lattemiele cookies.

Bevi
Bevi November 15, 2013

I actually have always had a crush on the canned corn - and the packaging artwork.

Kels Murdoch
Kels Murdoch February 14, 2014

I just love this thread so much, I want to revive it.

I love their chopped & washed Tuscan Kale, as it makes morning smoothies super easy. Same for baby spinach & frozen fruit, as it's much less expensive at TJ's than most markets in NYC. The Light Mexican Cheese Blend is always in our fridge, which makes a great reduced-guilt quesadilla with their Multigrain Tortillas (with oats & flax seeds—not fewer calorie, but so much fiber!) & Salsa Verde.

A quick weeknight favorite at our house is something we've named "Lasagna Pizza," because the flavor is a cross between those two favorites. We love it, perhaps because we're only a few years beyond our college-student-food phase. I heat my oven to 400°F, then put a couple of TJ's Pitas on a cookie sheet, spread a layer of the Tomato Basil marinara on the pitas, add some generous blops of Burrata, and top it all off with some shavings of Parmigiano and fresh basil, if I have it, and pop them in the oven until the cheese gets bubbly and brown. Et voila. Super classy super simple supper.

Turbeville Green
Turbeville Green February 14, 2014

I also love the Tuscan kale.

SMSF
SMSF February 14, 2014

Garden Patch vegetable juice (the Low Sodium version) - hands down!
Also:
jarred pizza sauce
thai red curry sauce
frozen fire-roasted corn

Diana B
Diana B February 15, 2014

Delice de Bourgogne cheese and Dark Chocolate-Covered Raisins...

henry west
henry west November 28, 2015

Almost all, Trader Joe has the best products names in the market today. The company also a competitive and reliable in terms of food products.

Regards.
Henry
"works for Alexandra Watkins of http://awesomebook.eatmywords.com/"

sexyLAMBCHOPx November 28, 2015

I'm a big fan of Trader Joe's except for the meat & chicken.

Susan W November 28, 2015

Why don't you like their meats? I buy their Empire chicken, grass fed ground beef and grass fed frozen steaks all the time. Love their meats.