🔕 🔔

Are these safe to water-bath can?

What do those of you who really know your stuff about canning think about water-bath canning these two recipes?
http://www.averiecooks...
http://www.averiecooks...

Thanks!

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

asked almost 4 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

It seems like there's enough sugar and acid in them, but I'd message mrswheelbarrow to find out for sure.

I'm not a food safety expert by any means, but personally I wouldn't hesitate to BWB the cranberry/blueberry sauce (sounds awesome, by the way, and I'm going to make it for Thanksgiving!). The cranberry/mango recipe is a little more problematic to me, because mango is a low acid fruit and, despite the fact that the writer calls it chutney, there's no vinegar in it. Do the cranberries add enough acidity to make it safe? Maybe, but no way to really know for sure, so I probably wouldn't BWB that one. Here's a great website for all sorts of canning questions: http://nchfp.uga.edu/

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Thanks to both of you; I was suspicious about the chutney for canning to begin with. I love the U Georgia site, too, but their recipes are so boring... ;)

I agree that their recipes aren't terribly exciting - sort of the Ball Blue Book of the web!

Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Yes, good thing we have Mrs Wheelbarrow, Kevin West and many others to keep us from replicating what Smucker's does!

25cb6dae 4a4d 45ee a8cb 47eb58f94764  img 0811

You can also look up FDA food preserving guidelines online. I also recommend the book"So Easy To Preserve".

I know the book I just recommended is by Georgia U but the technical tips are good. Also. I like the tips in "Saving the Seasons" by Mary Clemens Meyer and "Putting Food By". Good luck!