Io sono distrutto

I just that Judy Rodgers has joined the company of angels at the age of only 57. In a span of not many weeks we've lost Penelope Casas and Marcella Hazan as well. Judy was co-owner of Zuni Cafe in San Francisco which I visited many times (the street car line stops practically outside the door. To my knowledge she wrote only one book but one which is referenced by her peers nation wide.
Could we stop the bleeding pleasing?

Yeah, 57 is just too d*** young for someone of her caliber and heart.

Oh, that's sad news. Too young. May flights of angels take thee to they rest.

"thy rest" not "they" (good thing I don't engrave gravestones for a living)

Auto-correct is usually a nuisance... I know that legions of angels are feasting on Judy's roast chicken along with the many other recipes that will be here with us always. In heaven, she can have however many wood-burning stoves she wants.

You said it, I thought the same thing about losing Casas, Hazan,and Rogers in the same year.

Ironically, I'd just pulled a roast chicken from the oven when I heard. How often do I roast a chicken in the middle of the day? Not really ever except today and so glad I did.

cookbookchick

I dry-brined our Thanksgiving turkeys for the first time, two Judy birds. Heartbreaking news..

arcane54

And I made a late "Judy bird" turkey just yesterday. What a loss to all of us and what a legacy she's left.

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

glutton for life on Facebook: "A lot of roast chicken and bread salad in heaven tonight".

cookinginvictoria

Such sad news. Judy Rogers's Zuni Cafe cookbook has deeply informed my cooking. Like so many others, I learned how to salt meat and poultry and roast a chicken from Judy. But her first recipe I ever made was her marinated roasted beets, which is still my preferred way to prepare beets. She also taught me how to make a proper stock and introduced me to salsa verde. I only ate at Zuni once -- and that was about fifteen years ago -- but it remains one of my favorite restaurant meals ever. RIP.

cookbookchick

As "cookbookchick," you can bet I have a whole lot of them. If I had to choose only a handful to keep, Judy's book would be at the top of the list. Not just a cookbook - it is a culinary education. One of her recipes/tutorials I have learned and loved is for gnocchi. A "genius" technique, indeed!

Sono distrutta, anch'io! ;o)

As much as I admire what Alice Waters did in launching the "farm to table" movement I would rate Judy Rodgers' ideas about food far ahead of Alice. It's a great loss to the world of cooking and thinking about cooking.

It's the saddest I've felt in a long time. :( Cynthia, what a lovely story.