I'm working on a maple pastry cream, subbing maple syrup for the sugar. Because the liquidity of the maple syrup increases the overall liquid content, my ratios are all messed up. I made it once, but it was too loose. Considering the price of pure maple syrup, I'd like to limit multiple attempts. Does anyone have experience making this and could you offer advice? My quantities are as such:

2 1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup maple syrup
3 (or 4?) eggs
? cornstarch

Thanks

hardlikearmour December 7, 2010

Maple syrup is about 34% water, so you are adding about 1/2 cup water with the amount of maple syrup you are using. Whole milk is about 87% water, so removing about 9 Tbsp would reduce the recipe by about 1/2 cup water. I'd keep the rest the same and start there, then monkey with adding additional eggs and/or cornstarch if no one has a better idea.

RavensFeast
RavensFeast December 7, 2010

Exactly the advice I needed, thanks a lot

Jon Palmer
Jon Palmer December 7, 2010

Maple sugar is available for purchase a lot of places and can be used as a one-for-one substitute for plain sugar most of the time.

RavensFeast
RavensFeast December 7, 2010

That's what I thought, but I did a one-for-one substitution and it flopped. Way too loose. I added more cornstarch once it didn't thicken, but it effected the texture of the finished pastry cream more than if I would have increased it and added it from the beginning.

I think hardlikearmour makes a good point with the water content in the syrup and how that will decrease the milk ratio.

SallyCan
SallyCan December 7, 2010

If you cook down your maple syrup a bit, maybe by a quarter or even a half, it will become thicker and the flavors more concentrated. I'd avoid adding more cornstarch. You still may need to reduce the milk (or go with cream), and add a bit more egg- just fiddle with it until it is right. Any failed attempts would probably be fabulous if cooled and churned in an ice cream maker, so you won't have to worry about any waste ;)

RavensFeast
RavensFeast December 8, 2010

SallyCan - another fabulous tip, thanks so much all. Taking a second crack at this weekend!