🔕 🔔

What kind of sweetener can I substitute for maple syrup in a quick bread?

I'm making a quick bread that uses 1 cup of maple syrup, but I don't have that much on hand. Can I use an equal amount of honey? Also, if I use sugar, how much should I use and should I reduce the flour amount since I am reducing the liquid by not using syrup?

asked by katiebakes about 6 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

http://www.foodsubs.com...
For sugar you would use 1 cup for every 3/4 cup maple syrup called for, then add 3 T water for every cup sugar used. If it's a recipe that calls for baking soda you'd also decrease the amount by 1/4 teaspoon per cup sugar used.

http://www.foodsubs.com...

I was just about to post honey, too. And it won't change your acid to baking soda ratio.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Agave? If you just need to top off the maple syrup on hand, it would probably slip in unnoticed, It appears to have the same density/liquidity/specific gravity as maple. I even have one that is maple flavored. And if you are close to the amount needed, you may have enough. I find most quick bread sugar recommendations too sweet for me. If you reduce the amount of sweetener, then you'd want to fill in for the amount of liquid, though I can't tell you how much! Quick breads are flexible enough that you may be able to judge by the look of the batter.

Wholefoods user icon

Honey would be my choice, too. But you could also consider pomegranate or mulberry grape molasses or even malt barley. which I would thin to the maple consistency.

Wholefoods user icon

If you are in the market for really different options, then I would suggest sapa from Nudo-
http://www.nudo-italia...

Wholefoods user icon

But if you are looking at what you have on hand, then hardlikearmour's pointers on sugar make great sense. I might add that sometimes I will add a little Cointreau, Grand Marnier , or appropriate flavored liqueur if I am jut a bit short on syrup to make up the difference.