🔕 🔔

A quick bread recipe calls for 1/3 C maple syrup. I don't have maple syrup and feel that the other sugar in the recipe (3/4 C white) will probably be enough sweetness for the family. I do have maple extract to substitute for the flavor.

What, if anything, should I use to substitute for the maple syrup? Milk? Water? or was sweetness and flavor the only reason for the addition, and no extra moisture is needed?

asked by imryan23 almost 7 years ago

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I would go for something with moisture I think, though quick breads are pretty forgiving ... what are the other flavors? Milk would be good, maybe juice of some sort that goes with the other flavors, even yogurt or mashed banana would add moisture. The dairy products of course also add fat - which I think is a good thing. Hmm - what about a couple drops of the maple extract stirred into 1/3 c milk? That's what I would do ...

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

And if you change your mind and think you need a bit more sweetening power, a tablespoon or two of brown sugar would not go amiss with aargersi's suggestion.

I found the full recipe online:
http://www.bostonmagazine...

It's the Cranberry-Maple-Pecan Breakfast Cake from Joanne Chang.

if you're in an adventurous mood and you have potatoes you can try this - http://www.choosingvoluntarysimplicity... (I've always meant to and never got around to it)

Ada55e3d 6f41 45b7 bd1c f668474b333d  file0265

I think the liquid is important. I would add the same amount of honey or applesauce. The apple sauce would be less sweet. You could cut the sugar to 1/2 a cup and use honey.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I would lean towards honey or agave nectar rather than applesauce. Applesauce is very acidic and can change the texture of your baked goods.

8d15d9cf 7f9f 46ec a8b7 7adad145fc4e  dsc 0954 wheat bread

I bake a lot of sweet breads and muffins using maple syrup and to me nothing will take its place, but you can use honey or agave as a good substitute. If you don't want the bread any sweeter, I would go with milk and add in the maple extract if you would like that flavor. Buttermilk, especially whole, is a good addition to quick breads.

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

I would add a liquid, such as one of the other suggestions. Fruit juices that contain only fruit are also good additions to quick breads. (I use apple or orange juice quite a lot.) I would also add about 1Tbls molasses. This will darken your bread a bit and add a nice background flavor that should make up for the lack of maple flavor.

C2d97ab1 c2d2 4bd9 9295 fd6fc285dc98  sg headshot oct 2007

I might try a fusion of light molasses and dark corn syrup--both offer the sweetness and consistency and liquid.