🔕 🔔

amount of yeast when doubling a recipe

I am planning on making a double (maybe triple) batch of overnight-rise yeasted waffles for a brunch party tomorrow. Should I double (or triple) the amount of yeast too? Or will less yeast be able to do the work? Thanks!!

asked by JosieD over 4 years ago

you might get by with less yeast, but i wouldn't count on it, with the party tomorrow.

Actually, you can safely cut the amount of yeast for a single batch in half and treat the batter essentially as a preferment that is typically used in breads. The job of a preferment is grow a yeast population; you can trust that yours will be at a dependable level by morning.

P.S. I mean that for a double or even triple batch, you can safely use half the amount of yeast called for in just a single batch. Mix the batter and let it sit at room temp for about an hour, then refrigerate it. Remove it to room temp for about an hour before you plan to use it.