How many preserved lemons to use?

I want to toss some preserved lemons I made with root vegetables and roast them, letting the salt from the lemons flavor the vegetables. But how many should I use?

asked by LoosePanda over 4 years ago

Depending on how lemony you want your root vegetables, I would use 1/8 cup diced preserved lemon (that's including the peel) to 1 cup root vegetables. You can taste that mixture and adjust up or down.

It sort of depends on what root vegetables you're using... some are sweeter than others.

LoosePanda

I'm roasting a 9x13 pan of carrots, onions, squash, and celery with some cumin and thyme. Would more lemon = more saltiness?

Yes, if they are traditionally preserved lemons, they're very salty. You wouldn't want to add more salt until you taste your diced preserved lemons mixed. in. To be safe, mix 1/2 of a preserved lemon, diced (pith and peel) into 1/2 a pan of your root vegetables. See how that tastes. If it's too salty, then you just add the remainder of the pan of root vegetables to distribute the lemon. If it's *not* too salty, add a little more diced preserved lemon. Remember that the lemony taste will mellow as things roast in the oven, but the salty taste will not reduce.

...And hoping you're adding a little olive oil to help distribute things. Love the cumin and thyme.

The $1.89 Lunch Our Editor-in-Chief Swears By

Chickpeas to the Rescue

Curried Chickpea Sandwich

You can count the ingredients on one hand.

Simplest Homemade Doughnuts

Meatballs lend comfort on one family's journey from Mexico.

My Family Recipe: Mexican Meatballs

What's New in the Neighborhood

From weeknight favorites to regional classics.

12 Essential Italian Cookbooks