🔕 🔔

What are you cooking for NYE?

My husband was going to be out of town, but plans changed and now I need to cook. I need ideas!!!

asked by kimhw over 3 years ago

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Chateaubriand, with all the trimmings (scored mushroom caps, potato, carrot, hollandaise, etc). A decent red. Nice music. Candles. That is the game plan for my house.

Sounds good bigpan. I'm serving loin of beef with porcini-rosemary crust, celeriac and potato mash; mixed saute of mushrooms; fennel and two-celery salad; juniper-honey creme brulee; black-eyed peas and a bottle of good red. We'll be dancing to an eclectic and uplifting mix tape: James Taylor, Beyonce, Michael Jackson, Cat Stevens, Herman's Hermits, Nina Simone, Van Morrison, IZ, Sinatra, and my favorite - Florence & the Machine. It's a good day to listen to "Dog Days Are Over". Happy and safe NY to you!

Make that the juniper-honey pot de creme. Everything except the celeriac-potato mash and black-eyed peas (traditional NYE fare) is a Food 52 recipe, too!

Lenticche di Castellucio con Cotechino. Umbrian lentils with artisan cotechino sausage. Traditional New Year's Eve fare, lentils symbolizing coins and luck in the coming year.

Traditional Southern USA fare: Hoppin' John (black-eyed peas and rice with ham hocks), collard greens and corn bread. The peas are for money in the new year, the greens for good health. And it tastes SO good!

Paella for tonight's party - and hoppin' john for tomorrow's vegetarian back-to-normal feast.

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I'm missing Seattle so I'm making seafood fettucine and toasted french bread...total carb load that reminds me of home.

1d0d675a 5598 44a5 865e 32730d2a1273  186003 1004761561 1198459 n

We just got back from Barbados, so I'm putting a casserole in the oven that I just defrosted: lamb, eggplant, fromage blanc (Cowgirl Creamery recipe) and tomato sauce; a green salad with vinaigrette and some snowball cookies that I have in the freezer. And of course, we will be having champagne! Happy New Year to everyone!