A question about a recipe: Chocolate Chip Cookies

74c10604 2696 4585 b3d5 8bdf0571cb2a  food52 chochipcookies5

I have a question about the recipe "Chocolate Chip Cookies" from dashandbella. My wife has a nut allergy. Would removing the nuts from the recipe require any other adjustments or changes? Thanks so much.

asked by Steven Lederman over 4 years ago

LE BEC FIN

monita is correct. you also cpuld substitute alot of things- just use the same quantity as the nuts (ex: coconut, roasted soybeans, candied orange peel, dried cranberries or apricots (chopped)- but most of these are somewhat sweet, and nuts are not, so if you choose to use one of them, you might want to remove a little sugar or add 1-2 Tablespoons of instant coffee powder to the recipe. If you choose to remove and not replace nuts, your recipe will be fine; just keep in mind that you won't yield as many cookies as the recipe says because you have less volume of cookie batter.

Abby @ Happy Food Happy Home

I omitted the nuts as well--because I'm picky! I do think the nuts would tone down the sweetness of the cookies. But they cooked perfectly without the nuts so no problems there!
Abby

Phyllis Grant

good point about the sweetness. i think the nuts bring about a nice balance. as an alternative, i love the idea above of adding coconut. or maybe oatmeal. or instant coffee. must try that.