A question about a recipe: Chocolate Chip Cookies

I have a question about the recipe "Chocolate Chip Cookies" from dashandbella. My wife has a nut allergy. Would removing the nuts from the recipe require any other adjustments or changes? Thanks so much.

74c10604 2696 4585 b3d5 8bdf0571cb2a  food52 chochipcookies5
Recipe question for: Chocolate Chip Cookies

Voted the Best Reply!

Monita January 5, 2014

You can just remove the nuts and proceed with the rest of the recipe as is - nut removal won't impact it

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN January 5, 2014

monita is correct. you also cpuld substitute alot of things- just use the same quantity as the nuts (ex: coconut, roasted soybeans, candied orange peel, dried cranberries or apricots (chopped)- but most of these are somewhat sweet, and nuts are not, so if you choose to use one of them, you might want to remove a little sugar or add 1-2 Tablespoons of instant coffee powder to the recipe. If you choose to remove and not replace nuts, your recipe will be fine; just keep in mind that you won't yield as many cookies as the recipe says because you have less volume of cookie batter.

Abby @ Happy Food Happy Home

I omitted the nuts as well--because I'm picky! I do think the nuts would tone down the sweetness of the cookies. But they cooked perfectly without the nuts so no problems there!
Abby

Phyllis Grant
Phyllis Grant January 9, 2014

good point about the sweetness. i think the nuts bring about a nice balance. as an alternative, i love the idea above of adding coconut. or maybe oatmeal. or instant coffee. must try that.