A question about a recipe: Spatchcocked and Braise-Roasted Chicken

620cea7d f427 4646 873d 8b051e9405a3  112910f 209

I have a question about the recipe "Spatchcocked and Braise-Roasted Chicken" from Amanda Hesser. What is the pan you are using to brown the chicken in made of (slide# 10)? It looks like a ceramic gratin pan and I didn't think you could use one on a flame.?

asked by Gleaner almost 5 years ago

Veronica Fung

I think it's a Le Creuset oval gratin dish. It's enamelled cast iron and not ceramic- hence it is flame proof.

Not sure it's the exact same one but I think it's like this one here:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/le-creuset-oval-au-gratin-baker/?pkey=ccookware-le-creuset&cm_src=cookware-le-creuset||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

LE BEC FIN

and you are correct; you cannot put a ceramic dish on a flame.

Hi Gleaner, Veronica is right -- it's an enameled cast iron Le Creuset casserole dish. I love it because you can use it both stovetop and in the oven, and it cooks really well. I've had it for nearly 20 years!