Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

I got boneless lamb shoulder in my meat CSA this month. It's tied with twine. I was thinking of following a recipe for braised lamb shoulder, that calls for trimming the fat. This cut of lamb has a pretty significant layer of fat underneath the twine. Should I untie it to trim the fat? What is the tying for anyway?

asked by linzarella almost 6 years ago
9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

If you braise properly, the fat will melt away and you can skim it later. If you braise at too high a heat, the fat will not melt away. I would leave the fat and follow the mantra, "low and slow is the way to go"

Usually a roast is tied to help it retain a shape which will allow it to cook evenly. I cut the twine to open the meat up so that I can rub it with herbs, spices, garlic... whatever flavors I'm shooting for. It sounds like there is a lot of extra fat. I would trim off some of it, but definitely leave some also, for flavor and moisture. Before cooking, tie the roast back up for even cooking. You can put veggies (choose your favorites... potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic cloves, fennel, for example) under the roast while you are cooking it to absorb fat and flavor.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Yum. Lamb yields fairly tender meat from all parts of its body, which means that, unlike beef and sometimes pork, most lamb cuts can be cooked using dry heat, including the shoulder.

The shoulder can be roasted if it's rolled and tied into a cylinder, and it can be stuffed, as well. If you'd prefer to roast it stuffed or unstuffed, I'd leave a good half-inch layer of fat around the roast and re-tie it. Lamb fat is "good" fat: only 36% of it is saturated, and the rest is poly- and mono-unsaturated fat, but it's not like you're going to drink the stuff anyway. Or are you. . .

If you decide to braise it, however, I'd trim off enough fat to leave a layer only 1/8"-1/4" thick. Any fat that melts into the braising liquid can be easily skimmed after cooking.

2e76cf97 2d3d 429e a4b4 7be0bcf4c88d  headshot

Ok, I got lazy and didn't really trim any of the fat. Just finished dinner and oh my god, so good, tasted like carnitas. But as per these suggestions, I'll skim the fat tomorrow after it's been in the fridge all night.

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Lamb shoulder is so delicious braised. You can untie it, stuff it, and tie it up again, but leave the fat because it's a tough meat and the fat helps tenderize it. You can skim it off, as above, after cooking. Recently, I've been pouring the cooking liquid hot into a measuring cup (clear) and able to spoon off the fat easily. If you are feeling ambitious, Julia Child has a great recipe for Braised Stuffed Shoulder of Lamb with Spinach and Mushroom Duxelles that I made for my first grown up dinner party when I was 18. The dish was great, although my life was a disaster that year...

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

I'm with luvcookbooks on the untying, retying and stuffing. Tying up a piece of shoulder is pretty damn easy once you've seen it done; but keep your seams straight. Duxelles sound damn good in there, but I think capers and chevre would also work. Don't lose the fat as it's great stuff and will help crisp up the outside should you roast instead of braise.