Smoked lamb shoulder

I just bought two 3.5 lb lamb shoulders this morning. I'm interested in grilling or smoking them on our Big Green Egg. I usually braise or roast lamb shoulder (the "Genius" lamb shoulder recipe is a favorite) but have never grilled or smoked one. I'm thinking it'll behave very similarly to a pork shoulder, and that cooking it low and slow (200 to 220 F) is the way to go. Would appreciate any tips, pointers, and especially ideas for a rub or marinade. Thanks!

• Posted by: EmilyC
  • July 18, 2014

Susan W July 18, 2014

I don't own a smoker, but I would venture to say you are right. I did a quick search and there are some great conversations out there regarding the green egg and lamb shoulder. It sounds like it will be delicious.

Matt Hall
Matt Hall July 19, 2014

I have smoked lamb shoulder on my Big Green Egg with excellent results using the low and slow approach. If memory serves, I used a rub consisting of cumin, garlic powder, paprika, dried oregano, salt, black pepper, and aleppo pepper. The leftovers made for great sandwiches.