LE BEC FIN

this has been asked so many times! try entering 'weeping meringue' into the 52 search for hotline, and google if needed.

LE BEC FIN

baker2, sorry, i had no intention of being snide. what i really wanted to say was, "oh yes, someone had a really great detailed explanation for this recently. wish i had time to link it."

Joshvolt

Could you go here please :3

http://www.sunset.com/food...

baker2

I am going to check this out. Thank You

baker2

No offense taken, LE BEC FIN. I have searched on line, and asked many times, but still can't solve this. I have high hopes with FOOD 52 that some of my questions may be answered.

LE BEC FIN

o.k. baker2, here you go. knock yourself out! then will you plse explain it to me? cuz my brain shuts down when explanations get chemical sometimes....:
http://food52.com/hotline...

Most of those links don't really discuss weeping.

Until the real bakers get here... most of those links don't seem to answer the question. My understanding is that meringues can weep as a result of underbeating, overbeating, insufficient dissolving of the sugar into the egg whites, too hot an oven, and too cool an oven. Weeping from the bottom can be a problem if it causes the meringue to slip off the lemon filling. But little beads of meringue transport me back to childhood--I thought they were like nectar.

baker2

Thanks Chris. That's my best answer. I have tried many of the suggestions that ran me in circles. Sometimes you have to accept what is. My meringue weeps. So be it. Would Julia agree? Probably not. But I am moving on to bigger problems.

Dona

Ljalex: How do I keep the meringue from shrinking on top of my lemon meringue pie? Also, how do I keep it from weeping?
AltonBrown: Meringue is voodoo! I'm going to start with the weeping part first. A lot of people assume it's caused by humidity. It's not. It's from overcooking. The key is first to be very gentle with the meringue. It needs to be folded together very gently, with one-and-a-half tablespoons of sugar per egg white. I use my copper bowl to beat the egg whites, because I believe it adds extra stability. I also tend to sprinkle just a bit of cornstarch into the egg whites before I start to beat them. I try to make sure my filling and my meringue are at the same temperature before I put one on top of the other. I always use a filling that's also been stabilized with cornstarch. Then just be careful not to overbake. Overbaking causes the shrinkage and the weeping. If you're looking for color on top of the meringue, you can always hit it with a blowtorch after it comes out of the oven. But it's not a good idea to overbake the pie just to get the color.

This is Alton Brown's explanation.

Peach McDouall

What Brown said about making sure the filling and meringue are the same temp before they go together is key.

Thanks for the master class, Shuna. I knew a real backer would show up.

baker2

Thank you Shuna for the time and energy expended, to enlighten and educate me and many others regarding this problem. By the way, I agree with you regarding Alton Brown.