Help! My ice cream isn't setting!

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/recipe/chocolate-ice-cream.html

I doubled it because my ice cream maker is huge.

• Posted by: kimhw
  • January 18, 2014

boulangere January 18, 2014

When you say not setting, what does that mean? Is it not freezing as it spins?

kimhw
kimhw January 18, 2014

Yes, not freezing. It's been spinning for nearly an hour. It should start to thicken a bit at this point.

boulangere January 18, 2014

Oh, gosh, after about 20 minutes it should have thickened to the point that you would have begun thinking you were the queen of ice cream. Something is clearly wrong. Is there a chance that you mis-multiplied or mis-scaled some ingredients, such as egg yolks? When you cooked the custard over a bain marie (and you cooked it over a double boiler, right?) to what temperature did you cook it? It should have reached 165 degrees so that you successfully coagulated the long proteins in the eggs and milk. Fortunately, you are not working with enormously expensive ingredients such that you can afford to toss them out and begin again.

kimhw
kimhw January 19, 2014

My recipe didn't give me a temp. It said until you can draw your finger across the back of the spoon and the mark stays.
Since I used Ghirardelli and milk and cream from the local organic farm, the ingredients feel expensive.

nashama
nashama January 18, 2014

How long did you freeze your bowl for? Seems obvious, I know, but I once realized I hadn't frozen the bowl overnight and even though it felt frozen it wasn't. Just a thought.

kimhw
kimhw January 18, 2014

I think that was my problem. It's 25 degrees out and I left it in the snow for 30+ minutes. I guess I needed more time.

nashama
nashama January 18, 2014

And.... Is there anything more disappointing?! I feel your pain.

boulangere January 18, 2014

Oh, goodness. Thanks to Nashama, there's at least part of you problem. Be sure to freeze the cylinder for at least 12 hours at the lowest temperature you can find. I depend on my freezer's dependable minus 10 degrees.

nashama
nashama January 18, 2014

I store my bowl I the freezer at all times .... Who wants to wait overnight when the mood strikes?

boulangere January 19, 2014

I store the cylinder in the freezer, as well. Kimhw, you can salvage your ice cream. Pour it out of the cylinder and store it in the refrigerator. Wash the cylinder (never put it through the dishwasher), and freeze it overnight. After 12 hours, re-spin your ice cream. Another consideration is to adequately chill the custard before spinning it. Place its bowl over an ice-water bath, and stir it periodically until it drops to at least 40 degrees before you spin it. You used excellent ingredients, so it should be wonderful.

kimhw
kimhw January 19, 2014

Thanks everyone. I figured out my problem, salvaged and it maybe the best ice cream I've ever had. I had it for breakfast.

boulangere January 19, 2014

Some people really know how to eat!