A question about a recipe: Chocolate Chip Cookies

74c10604 2696 4585 b3d5 8bdf0571cb2a  food52 chochipcookies5

I have a question about the recipe "Chocolate Chip Cookies" from dashandbella. I would like to know what the weight/volume conversion is for the 2 1/8 cups all purpose flour in this recipe -- in other words, how many ounces flour per cup? Or, if that info is not available, how should the flour be measured, e.g., fluff, dip and level; or fluff, fill, and level; or sift and level; or?

asked by Sara Brown over 4 years ago

Felicia M

Btw 4-5 oz per cup, depending on the author. America's test kitchen uses 5 oz while King Arthur flour always uses 4 1/4 oz per cup of AP flour. There is no "correct" way to measure flour and each cook does it differently, no matter what anyone says.

Experiment and pay attention to the sugar:butter:flour ratio, reducing sugar and butter for a less sweet, slightly chewier cookie with less spread. You can also checkout http://www.lafujimama.com... for another variation of the toll house cookie recipe.

Sara Brown

Thanks for the references and guidance, but if I want to get the same results as the recipe author, I need to know what the recipe author does: how does the author measure the flour, or, better still what does the author's measured flour weigh? I could, of course, experiment, but I would rather start with the exact recipe, saving time and money. I am hoping the author will respond.

LE BEC FIN

i've never seen sifting enter the picture unless the directions are to sift. MOST people (i think) use the :fluff up flour, dip and level the top method. There's a great baking cookbook author- alice medrich- who talks about and teaches alot of these issues in her books. really helpful books, and terrific recipes. I have a few but mostly use Bittersweet.

Sarah, if you haven't already, you might want to post your question in the Comments section of the recipe itself. It's possible the authors of the recipe receive email copies of posts there. You can also send them an email through their Profile: just click on the envelope icon next to the "Follow" button on their profile page.