Margaret Fox's Amazon Chocolate Cake

Can Dutch Cocoa be used in this recipe?

asked by Dea Henrich almost 5 years ago

Now that's a recipe that has been around for a while. Can you give us the proportions of flour, sugar, cocoa, and other leavening?

Dea Henrich

1 1/2
cup all-purpose flour
1/3
cup unsweetened cocoa
1
teaspoon baking soda
1
cup sugar
1/2
teaspoon salt
5
tablespoons neutral oil (like corn, canola, or vegetable)
1
cup cold water
1 1/2
teaspoon vanilla
1
tablespoon cider or white vinegar
Confectioners' sugar (optional, for dusting)

LE BEC FIN

"There are exceptions to each, of course. And according to Fine Cooking magazine, “You can substitute natural cocoa powder for Dutch-process in most recipes (though not vice versa). Flavor and texture can be affected, but generally only in recipes calling for 3/4 cup (75 g) or more.” However when a batter-based recipe calls for natural cocoa powder, do not use Dutch-process cocoa powder. But I always advise folks to follow what the recipe says. For sauces and ice creams, they can be swapped out. For cakes and cookies, I don’t recommend it, as your results may not be the same if you make substitutions.

Remember: As in any recipe, if you vary ingredients or make substitutions from what is written, results will likely not be the same.

If a recipe calls for either, the main different is that Dutch-process cocoa will give a darker color and a more complex flavor whereas natural cocoa powder tends to be fruitier tasting and lighter in color."
Above and more is from:
http://www.davidlebovitz...

Dea Henrich

Since this recipe specifies neither natural nor Dutched, does that mean either is okay?

The site had ahttp://food52.com/blog... article about this topic. perhaps it would help:

Dea Henrich

Thanks. That was helpful. Since the batter uses baking soda, the article says to use natural, rather than Dutched cocoa.