Best Madhur Jaffrey cookbook?

Since there's all this talk about cookbooks! I love Indian food and have never gone wrong with a Madhur Jaffrey recipe, so I'd like to get one of her cookbooks to work through. Our library doesn't have any of her books, so I can't preview. Any recommendations? I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't cook a lot of meat.

asked by Kate almost 5 years ago

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

I like Invitation to Indian Cooking and a little book of spice recipes, can't remember the name. Invitation to Indian Cooking is short and the recipes are doable. I've cooked maybe thirty dishes from the book and find it quite reliable. Cut the oil, though, drastically.

cookbookchick

Have you looked into Raghavan Iyer's books, 660 Curries, and Indian Cooking Unfolded? I do not have personal experience with them, but they have received a lot of praise.

CharloTea

I love World Vegetarian even though not a full vegetarian. Her recipe for Black Tuscan Kale with Raisins is to die for, even using ordinary green kale. I've made it many times.

aobenour

The only one I have experience with is An Invitation to Indian Cooking and it is WONDERFUL. I cook from it often. I especially like that each recipe includes menu suggestions

mainecook61

My copy of "Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking" is stained and worn, published by Barrons in 1983. It is a wonderful book. I may be OP, but you can often find older cookbooks on used book sites. Sahni's books are good. I have made about 10 things from Iyer's new Indian Cooking Unfolded, and I can say that it is very well written. The creamy salmon and kale recipe alone is worth the price of the book. But if you can find a copy of the old Jaffrey--grab it.

karen06

I completely agree. I have a LOT of cookbooks but I go to that every time.

LE BEC FIN

kate, in MA where i live, I am able to request cookbooks (or any books) from ILL, InterLibraryLoan.I just email a form to my Town Library's reference librarian, and I have books(DVD's, etc) come to me from all over the US; college libraries, etc etc. Just fyi.

I don't know if it's her best book, but my copy of her World of the East Vegetarian Cooking is falling apart, is so well-thumbed and blotted with stains it's in pieces.

Rocky Rill

Two of my favorites are:
At Home with Madhur Jaffrey
Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking

I especially like Quick & Easy because many of the recipes can be made in under 30 minutes and the list of ingredients is less intimidating than many Indian recipes but still with wonderful layers of flavor.