Best Madhur Jaffrey cookbook?

Since there's all this talk about cookbooks! I love Indian food and have never gone wrong with a Madhur Jaffrey recipe, so I'd like to get one of her cookbooks to work through. Our library doesn't have any of her books, so I can't preview. Any recommendations? I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't cook a lot of meat.

• Posted by: Kate
  • January 25, 2014

Voted the Best Reply!

arcane54
arcane54 January 25, 2014

I like Madhur Jaffrey's books, especially At Home With..., but I get a lot of use out of Julie Sahni's Classic Indian Cooking. She recommends dishes that go best together and includes lots of fish dishes as well as vegetarian mains and sides. My best memory is inviting several Indian students to dinner, serving a mix of Southern and Northern Indian foods, and both saying the dishes I served were "just like home."

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks January 25, 2014

I like Invitation to Indian Cooking and a little book of spice recipes, can't remember the name. Invitation to Indian Cooking is short and the recipes are doable. I've cooked maybe thirty dishes from the book and find it quite reliable. Cut the oil, though, drastically.

cookbookchick
cookbookchick January 25, 2014

Have you looked into Raghavan Iyer's books, 660 Curries, and Indian Cooking Unfolded? I do not have personal experience with them, but they have received a lot of praise.

CharloTea
CharloTea January 25, 2014

I love World Vegetarian even though not a full vegetarian. Her recipe for Black Tuscan Kale with Raisins is to die for, even using ordinary green kale. I've made it many times.

aobenour
aobenour January 25, 2014

The only one I have experience with is An Invitation to Indian Cooking and it is WONDERFUL. I cook from it often. I especially like that each recipe includes menu suggestions

mainecook61
mainecook61 January 25, 2014

My copy of "Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking" is stained and worn, published by Barrons in 1983. It is a wonderful book. I may be OP, but you can often find older cookbooks on used book sites. Sahni's books are good. I have made about 10 things from Iyer's new Indian Cooking Unfolded, and I can say that it is very well written. The creamy salmon and kale recipe alone is worth the price of the book. But if you can find a copy of the old Jaffrey--grab it.

karen06
karen06 January 25, 2014

I completely agree. I have a LOT of cookbooks but I go to that every time.

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN January 26, 2014

kate, in MA where i live, I am able to request cookbooks (or any books) from ILL, InterLibraryLoan.I just email a form to my Town Library's reference librarian, and I have books(DVD's, etc) come to me from all over the US; college libraries, etc etc. Just fyi.

creamtea January 26, 2014

I don't know if it's her best book, but my copy of her World of the East Vegetarian Cooking is falling apart, is so well-thumbed and blotted with stains it's in pieces.

Rocky Rill
Rocky Rill January 27, 2014

Two of my favorites are:
At Home with Madhur Jaffrey
Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking

I especially like Quick & Easy because many of the recipes can be made in under 30 minutes and the list of ingredients is less intimidating than many Indian recipes but still with wonderful layers of flavor.