What is the best cookbook about meat?

I would like to give my husband a book that will help with meat cooking now (in the oven and stovetop), and would also help if we buy a smoker someday. I've been a vegetarian previously, and I'm still a pretty novice meat cooker. Thanks!

asked by Emily over 3 years ago

ChezHenry

I've had Bruce Aidells (of Aidells Sausage fame) "The Complete Meat Cookbook" for years, and it's a classic. Recently was reading through "Lobel's Meat Bible" from the famous NYC Lobel's Butchers, and it was very informative also.

Congrats to you for coming over to the dark side. ;)

Are you looking for just recipes or information about different cuts and the best technique to cook them or all of the above?

Was your husband also a vegetarian?

Emily

Hi, Susan. Probably all of the above. No, my husband has not been a vegetarian.

Emily, Sexylambchop has a great recommendation. I think Cara Nicoletti, a member here and a butcher in Brooklyn, is coming out with a cookbook any minute. I have cooked many of her recipes posted here. They have all been awesome.

Michael Symon has a meat centric cookbook called Carnivore. He's really good with meat. I have not seen his cookbook, but I would buy it unseen. <<< high praises.

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

In the Charcuterie by Boetticher and Millar is my favourite meat book. Covers everything from cutting up a whole side of animal, to roasts, to stove top treats, to curing and smoking.

This is the book I recommend most to new/returned omnivores and animal lovers. Why a meat book for animal lovers? Because if you love and care about the animals you eat, then it makes sense not to let any of them go to waste. Roughly 60% of a commercially prepared animal gets tossed in the trash because everyone want's rib eye and tenderloin. By buying from local farmers or a quality butcher, you quite often come across the less common bits and less meat is wasted. In the Charcuterie teaches you how to best use (almost) all the different cuts and makes a wonderful gateway book into the world of meat. Also, fantastic photos!

Why focus on "meat". That usually comes with the party for most classic cookbooks (Julia Child, Joy of Cooking...etc.)
For grilling the Steve Rachlin books are great.

IMHO for a good general purpose cookbook. Julia Child "French Cooking" all volumes. Are touchstones of recipes...meat or not.

Emily

Good point, Sam. I guess I was thinking in terms of the smoker as a possible future gift (with meat being the primary thing cooked in it), and a companion cookbook that would relate to it.

I highly recommend "The Cook's Illustrated Meat Book: The Game-Changing Guide that Teaches You How to Cook Meat and Poultry with 425 Bulletproof Recipes". Check out the detailed description and reviews on Amazon.

Yes!!! That's the one I was thinking of. Once again, Cook's Illustrated comes through.