🔕 🔔

I have a game mix, a slow cooker, and a wife with an alcohol allergy...any ideas for a winter warmer casserole/stew?

asked by @tm9563 over 7 years ago

I make chili with elk - substitute the ground elk for your game, leave out the beer and add more stock, and away you go!

Sounds like the perfect "cacciatore" to me. Cacciatore mean's whatever the hunter bagged. No alcohol necessary. Cut your meats into small pieces, chop up some good mushrooms (porcini if you have them hanging around), onion, carrot, tomato, possibly green pepper, bay leaf, a complementary herb like thyme. Brown the meat in the pan you are going to cook the cacciatore along with the onions and carrots. Season all with salt and pepper. Add the other ingredients along with just about any kind of stock and SIMMER slowly for an hour or so.