Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

Beef Stew -- can I braise longer?

I tried to cook a beef stew in my slow cooker last night. Recipe call for 8 hours on low, but the beef is still not tender. I think my slow cooker doesn't work well on low. I had to go to work, so I took the stew out and put it in the fridge. Question: If I braise it longer tonight, is it likely to become tender and edible? It is cooked through, but just too tough to enjoy at present, so my other option is to throw it out.

asked by Shallot almost 4 years ago
8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

I wouldn't throw it out. Try cooking it longer and see what happens. If it's still not tender enough maybe you can use the meat in a hash or shredded on a sandwich

In all probability the meat will become more tender with further cooking. I wouldn't throw it out!

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

Possibly your problem is with the cut of meat you are using. For stewing you want something with at least some marbeling. And also be sure to brown the meat on your cook top before tossing it into the cooker. Add enough liquid (stock)but don't submerge it.

Thanks for the advise. I will try to cook it some more. I do not think the low setting of my slow cooker gets the meat hot enough (it was not simmering), but since I tried to do this overnight while I slept, I didn't want to use the high setting. First time I've tried Trader Joe's precut stew beef -- usually I cut it myself.

I highly encourage you to continue cutting the meat yourself. I'm not the biggest fan of Trader Joe's meat or vegetable products, even though I used to live close to the original store in Pasadena. Have you ever actually seen anyone cutting up meat at TJ's? Personally, I feel blessed that I live in a place where we have REAL butchers who will break down and trim a carcass and deliver anything I ask for. Speaking only for myself, I don't buy anything in foam trays or vacpacs. I want my food to be real.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

I'd want to know what temperature that liquid was at for 8+ hours before eating it. Simmering would be a good sign but since it never did, there is the possibility it didn't make it to the Pasteurization point. I would set the unit back on low, let it warm up for a couple of hours and then check with a digital thermometer. If it's > 140, blame the meat.