A question about a recipe: Chocolate Bundt Cake

I have a question about the recipe "Chocolate Bundt Cake" from KelseyTheNaptimeChef. can I use soured cream instead of sour milk?

649ecb61 6487 41f5 9c81 eaae56545b24  2017 0601 chocolate bundt cake bobbi lin 27353
Recipe question for: Chocolate Bundt Cake

Shalini
Shalini February 9, 2014

Hi Leyanne, no, I would not. Sour cream is a semi solid and sour milk is a liquid. The cake needs sour milk for its moistness. Thanks! That being said, there are lots of sour cream cakes out there that are great!

Leyanne Taylor
Leyanne Taylor February 9, 2014

Ok, thanks. I think I'll have to make my own, sour milk isn't, as far as I'm aware, commercially available in the UK.

dymnyno
dymnyno February 9, 2014

Did you mean sour cream or soured cream?

Leyanne Taylor
Leyanne Taylor February 9, 2014

Aren't they the same thing?

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN February 9, 2014

I do not agree w/ shalini at all. in baking it's pretty dependable that buttermilk(sour milk) = sour cream= yoghurt. Also, a simple replacement for butter milk (don't you have clabbered milk in UK?) is 1 cup room temp milk minus 2 Tablespoons, plus 2 T. white vinegar. let sit a few minutes; will show curd in a few minutes.

(you see, in the heat of the oven, those thicker products all become liquid.) What's important is that soured milk products have their own requirements for leaveners, so if you want to change from a soured milk to a regular milk, you would need to change your leavener amounts. that is a whole other topic!

Leyanne Taylor
Leyanne Taylor February 9, 2014

We have buttermilk here, but I've no idea what clabbered milk is. I think I'll give it a try with sour cream and report back. Unless you're saying that sour milk is the same as buttermilk? It's all very confusing translating products across the atlantic! :)

dymnyno
dymnyno February 9, 2014

Buttermilk can be substituted for sour milk which is made by added vinegar to milk. I think that you could use cream and add vinegar, too.

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN February 9, 2014

yes, sour milk= buttermilk. For those who enjoy drinking them, they both have a tart refreshing taste.

Leyanne Taylor
Leyanne Taylor February 10, 2014

Thank you! :) Kind of makes me wonder why the recipe doesn't just say Buttermilk?