Leftover egg yolks

I have several egg yolks leftover from making meringue. I generally try to use them the same day but I haven't had a chance. Any ideas on how best to store them & how long they will keep?

• Posted by: Becky
  • February 11, 2014

Maedl February 11, 2014

You can freeze the yolks and use them later when you figure out what to do with them. Just be sure to label the container and include the number of yolks. I have a recipe for macaroons made with marzipan that I make when I have leftover yolks. I can provide the recipe if you like.

Becky
Becky February 11, 2014

I would love the recipe. Thank you, that would be amazing!

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN February 12, 2014

beck, after they freeze, wrap them tightly in saran>>when air is around them, they dry out. if you don't get around to meringues, you could always add them to scrambled eggs/omelet or egg dish, or add for a richer milkshake.

boulangere February 12, 2014

I freeze them regularly in plastic containers. Before you do, be sure to whisk them together, as otherwise, the membrane surrounding them tends to desiccate and toughen in the freezer, making them clumpy if you wait until thawing to whisk them. For reference, the average large egg yolk weighs .66 (2/3) of an ounce. Being liquid, their volume and weight are equal, so you can measure them in a liquid measuring cup.

Maedl February 12, 2014

This is a German recipe, but works fine on this side of the Atlantic, too. A kitchen scale should be able to handle the gram measurements.

Marzipan macaroons

300 g. marzipan
3 egg yolks
150 g. sugar (I use somewhat less)
grated rind of an organic lemon
½ t. cinnamon
a pinch of cardamom
a pinch of allspice

small, round Oblaten (these are similar to communion wafers and come in graduated sizes. I like the smaller ones better because then you can sample different kinds of cookies!! If you can’t find Oblaten, line the cookie sheet with parchment paper.

candied cherries or other candied fruit for garnishing

Mix together the marzipan, egg yolk, sugar, lemon peel and spices. Put the dough in a bag with a star-tip and squeeze onto the Oblaten. (I usually use a spoon and settle for a less-fancy form). Garnish each cookie with a halved candy cherry. Set the cookies on a cookie sheet and bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.

Becky
Becky February 12, 2014

I'm looking forward to trying this! Thanks so much.

Maedl February 12, 2014

I forgot to add that when I made these cookies this past Christmas, I didn’t add any additional sugar, and the cookies were sweet enough. Marzipan already contains a considerable amount of sugar. This reduction did not change the texture at all.

maimai50
maimai50 February 13, 2014

make vanilla ice cream