Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

cheese cake

I make a coconut cheese cake that is delicious. However, the crust gets very soggy. The recipe calls for baking it before adding the filling. The filling is very wet, looking more like regular cake batter. I've thought of brushing on a bit of egg wash before baking and adding the batter. I've baked it in the middle with convection oven, bottom rack, with and without convection. Any other ideas?

asked by Nancy almost 3 years ago
926ee962 060e 44e6 a1d9 878262f34bf8  image

Are you baking the whole cake in a water bath? and if so are you making sure to put aluminum foil around the spring form before putting the water in? Could add finely ground pecans to the crust. Though you might want to link the recipe to get a better idea what might be the problem.

Daf9451a 9473 409d a745 8ee3092b45e1  screen shot 2014 08 01 at 11.39.37 am

Here is the recipe: Thank you!
Coconut Cheesecake
Make the day before, should be refrigerated over night.

Crust:

1C graham cracker crumbs
1/4C Sugar
3T unsalted butter, melted

Filling:

4-8oz pkgs. Cream cheese, room temp.
1 ½ C Sugar
1-15oz can cream of coconut (I use Coco Lopez)
¼ t salt
1/8t grated lemon peel
½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise
5 Large eggs

Topping:

1 ½ C sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
½ C chopped toasted macadamia nuts

For Crust: Preheat oven to 375. mix all ingredients until blended. Press mix into bottom (not sides ) of 10’ Springform pan w/3”sides. Bake 10 minutes, transfer to rack & cool. Reduce oven temp to 350F.

For Filling: Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese in large bowl until light. Add sugar & beat until blended. Add cream of coconut, salt, lemon peel. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean. (I’ve used regular vanilla from a bottle and it works) Beat until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until combined.

Pour filling into crust lined pan. Bake until top browns (Cheesecake may crack) and moves slightly all over when shaken – about 1 hour, 2 minutes. Transfer to rack & cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Run a small sharp knife around pan sides to loosen. Release pan sides. Mix coconut & Nuts in small bowl. Sprinkle over cheesecake. Cut into wedges and serve.

From Kingsmill Resort, Williamsburg, VA

You can try to seal the crust with melted white chocolate (since you're making a coconut cheesecake).

You can very easily bake a cheesecake in a conventional cake pan. It does away with the seepage issue entirely, and you're not trying to slice in on the pebbly bottom of a springform pan. Here is a recipe and tutorial: http://thesolitarycook...

Thank you! That's great information and I will definitely use the water bath next time. It does end up pretty brown, but like I said, it's delicious.