🔕 🔔

pecan pie filling that bakes through my crust

I have my mom's recipe.. it calls for me to use an uncooked pie crust, add filling, and bake.. the problem is that it always bakes through the bottom of the crust, making it stick to the pie pan. Should I blind bake it first? I would ask mom, but she's no longer with us..

asked by speller23 almost 5 years ago

5dd58b70 52d5 415a 8478 ba9053b33e62  kenzi
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

So sorry to hear that! And yes, I would recommend blind baking it first -- you should have a sturdier crust this way.

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

Pecan pies don't need to be blind baked but you could do it. Think the reason its sticking is because there is spillover when you pour the filling into the crust or you may have some holes in the crust. If there are holes, then blind baking won't help.

31cf169d f83a 458c 9946 a9a0311207c3  cumberland pass atv trip july 20 2013 019

This has happened to me at times, too. I've come to the conclusion that if I fill the crust too full, it will spill over the edge of the crust and seep between the dough and the dish. Hope this helps.....