🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Nigel Slater's Really Good Spaghetti Bolognese

B96601ba 03ad 489e 9fce 66347a037383  nigel bolognese

I have a question about the recipe "Nigel Slater's Really Good Spaghetti Bolognese" from Genius Recipes. This recipe looks fabulous. I have one question. Where it calls for stock, can you tell me what kind of stock you are referring to? I can't wait to make this! Thank you.

asked by babs1225 over 3 years ago

I made it last night and I used chicken stock. Came out delicious.

D017135b e090 425c ad1a f3476fff117d  stringio

Thank you Kerstin. I will be making it this weekend. Can't wait!

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

The Food52 editor responded in the comments, "We used chicken stock because it's what we had, but beef would be great too." However, one of my old cookbooks from Nigel Slater calls specifically for vegetable stock. I'm sure all work well.

69d2403d 88f4 4b72 b0b9 84a21f4d0561  img 1445

I used vegetable stock when I made this last night and it turned out great. I think chicken stock would work fine, but I would be hesitant to use beef stock. This recipe is really rich and meaty tasting as it is, so I think using beef stock would make it just a bit too rich and meaty tasting. Just my feeling.

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

Traditionally for bolognese you would use veal stock. And of course in Bologna they've never heard of "portobello" mushrooms as it's strictly an American marketing name for the common brown mushroom. If mushrooms were to be used at all (which is far from a certainty) porcini would be the most likely.

2cfdef88 be25 49ea a9f9 4fbc8d7634d1  portrait

I used beef stock, diluted slightly.