can you zest lemons one day ahead of using it? how do you store it for one day?

i am trying to do some prep work one day ahead for multiple recipes. will lemon zest last overnight in the fridge or will it dry out?

asked by Lauren Isenhour over 4 years ago

I find they dry out really fast. I wouldn't zest ahead

Good tip Fiona. Thanks

nancy essig

You cannot pre zest citrus peel. it is a volatile oil and the flavours leave quickly. Zesting should always be a last second thing you do.

lem monade

if you are using it for sweets, you can mix the fresh zest with sugar and rub them well together so all the fragrant citrus oils are absorbed by the sugar, which can be stored in an air-tight container without any problems. the same process works with salt, but i often want to add more zest to a dish than the amount of salt in that same dish would absorb…

DonnaCrocker

They would dry out and the oil would be lost. I would do it when actually preparing your dish.