Hi! I'm making an apple and pumpkin pie for Christmas Day but wanted to do it ahead of time. How far ahead can pies be baked/how should they be stored? Could I make today and then put one/both in the fridge (or the cold garage?)

asked by nsmith001 over 7 years ago

chrissyb

You can freeze the apple, but not really the pumpkin because the pumpkin separates from the crust. They last for several days if you have them in a constant cold temperature (the fridge).

Ophelia

They can both be made a day ahead, but the crust won't be as crispy as if you had made them the day of. I would wait for them to cool completely (several hours), wrap in plastic or foil and put in the fridge.
I've had pumpkin pie up to three days after making, but I just ate the filling. Apple pies get pretty soggy and kind of rely on having a nice crust for texture and contrast to the apple.